Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • telstra111
    • May 2002

archiving DV camera footage

Hi. Can anyone suggest a 1 or 2 step procedure for archiving my digital video to divx format and mp3 audio? DV format takes up a lot of HD space, and encoding it as high quality divx means virtaully no quality loss and a lot of space saved. I do my captures inside Premiere. I could do the divx conversion from there as well, but the problem is there are no options for compressing the audio stream to mp3. I'd like to do it with lame mp3 preferably
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Simply use VirtualDub,or one of its variants...

(If you don't already have a DV codec installed, download and install eithe MainConcept or Canopus - same re: DivX codec)

Comment

• telstra111
      • May 2002

actually, thats the first thing i tried. however virtual dub gives me the message 'couldnt locate decompressor for format dvsd, virtual dub requires a video for windows compatible codec to decompress video.' when I try to open the capture files saved by premier. All my captures are in 'microsoft DV Pal'. Perhaps i should convert these to DIVX avi and then run the converted files through virtual dub to convert the audio to mp3?

If you know of a program that can batch convert microsoft DV format to a virtual dub friendly format, that would be great. doing it in premier is very hands on. thanks

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

I guess you missed this part of my previous post:

If you don't already have a DV codec installed, download and install eithe MainConcept or Canopus...

Comment

• mcleaver
          • May 2003

Re: archiving DV camera footage

Originally posted by telstra111
          Hi. Can anyone suggest a 1 or 2 step procedure for archiving my digital video to divx format and mp3 audio?
          I almost don't dare answer... but easiest is (unfortunately) to use Moviemaker 2 and the .wmv format...
          Rgds

Martin

Comment

• telstra111
            • May 2002

yeah, i did miss the part about the codec. i tried the canopus codec, which did not work, but the Panasonic.Software.DV.codec.v2.64 works great thanks for the tip.

I found the the link to the codec in a german forum whic also had this to say, if anyone is interested:

Virtual Dub can deal only with VFW compatible codecs. That is neither with ms-data processing Typ1 nor with ms-data processing type 2 the case, because both are co-ordinated with the Direct Show interface of Microsoft.

Remedy:
            First one needs a codec, which is VFW compatible and thus by VirtualDub one accepts. That is is only with Typ2-Codecs the case, Typ1 is generally incompatible.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"thanks for the tip."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

Re: archiving DV camera footage

Originally posted by telstra111
                Hi. Can anyone suggest a 1 or 2 step procedure for archiving my digital video to divx format and mp3 audio? DV format takes up a lot of HD space, and encoding it as high quality divx means virtaully no quality loss and a lot of space saved. I do my captures inside Premiere. I could do the divx conversion from there as well, but the problem is there are no options for compressing the audio stream to mp3. I'd like to do it with lame mp3 preferably
                Look on my site for details. I have also won awards for this too

Comment

Working...