TMPGEnc freezes my pc while decoding....why?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • elpitz
    • Jun 2003

TMPGEnc freezes my pc while decoding....why?

Hi everyone,
    i never had problems decoding divx movies to mpeg (videocd), but suddenly a couple of days ago my pc started goin' mad....every time i try to decode something with tmpgenc it freezes COMPLETELY my pc (athlon 2200+, 512 DDR, Geforce4 Ti4200 64Mb and winXP). Well, i thought "there should be something messed up with my os", so i formatted and reinstalled XP....and surprise: after a clean install it freezes again. I uninstalled divx 5.0.5 and reinstalled 5.0.3, i downloaded the last version of tmpgenc, but nothing.....i really don't know what to do...i NEVER had problems and i haven't installed any new software...so? Please help me.....
    Thanks in advance....
  • elpitz
    • Jun 2003

no idea anyone?

Comment

• WildmanJoe
      • Jan 2003

I dunno if this might help but here goes... As far as I know, WinXP almost doesn't freeze. It froze once on my PC but it was due to some problem with my graphics card drivers. Try enabling the error reporting option under My Computer\System Properties\Advanced\Error Reporting

This will enable WinXP to tell you what caused the freeze/crash. Remember to click on more details.

Comment

• elpitz
        • Jun 2003

thanks, i'll try....it's really making me mad!!!

Comment

• The Edge
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Jan 2003

Hi, and welcome.
          First, don't post the same question in different forums hoping to get a quicker response. That is frowned apon I'm afraid.

Ok, what are you trying to "decode" with TMPEnc?
          Have you tried testing with different clips?
          Do the clips play fine in media player, etc?

Edge
          "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• elpitz
            • Jun 2003

Sorry, i thought i posted in the wrong forum.....
            I'm trying to convert an avi file (codec with divx, not with xvid) into mpeg, videocd complainant. Easy, i did it millions of time....but now tmpgenc freezes my pc....maybe it's caused by the high external temperature (37°C) which raises the cpu temp to 60°C, but it seems strange to me.
            The clips are fine with windows media player, which means i have the right codec installed.....
            Thanks for your answers

Comment

• The Edge
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jan 2003

Ok, try this and see what happens.

Open the clip in Nandub and set video to "direct stream copy" and audio to "No audio" and resave the avi under a different filename.

Now, open this new avi in TMPEnc and try encoding. If ok there's an issue with the sound (proably AC3) You would need to convert to PCM wav first.

If it still locks, well it's video codec related. Try FFDshow instead.
              But, as a hunch, I guess it's the audio locking system

Good luck

Edge
              Last edited by The Edge; 17 Jun 2003, 07:40 PM.
              "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• elpitz
                • Jun 2003

I found the solution!!!! The case hadn't enough space to dissipate the high temperature and, in addition to an external temperature of 39°C and to the high CPU usage related to the encoding process, that caused the system to hang.
                I gave more space to the case and everything was fine again....
                Thanks to everybody for your advices

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

So I suppose the problem only started to crop up after you added something to your (presumably) already crowded case?

Comment

• elpitz
                    • Jun 2003

I don't think so, i only changed a cd recorder with another one....it started when the external temperature raised so much, in addition maybe it happened that i moved a bit my case.....

Comment

• The Edge
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Jan 2003

My friend recently dusted off about 1/2 inch on dust that had gathered on CPU heatsink. (AthlonXP) and that stoped his continuous lockups.

Edge

Comment

• elpitz
                        • Jun 2003

...you boil your brain trying to guess the cause of your problem, and finally you understand it was simply dust!!!!

Comment

Working...