Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToonFan2002
    • Mar 2002

GordianKnot -> separate 1st pass from 2nd pass

I just got this one problem. my pc freezes now and then while decoding files to avi with divx in gordian knot. I'd like to know the procedure to split the 1st pass from the 2nd pass, so that I can start with the 2nd pass when my pc freezes and don't have to start all over again. now i know i can use the mulit-pass, first pass and nth pass option after I've pressed save&encode, but then the job is missing the entry append credits and mux audio. can someone tell me how to preceed excactly in gordian knot ( vers. 0.28.50 ) to just split the 1st pass from the 2nd pass but get the same results as when doing a mulitpass? thx for help in forward
  • ToonFan2002
    • Mar 2002

if it's not possible just say so.... I can deal with that I guess

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I must have missed this thread...

What you need to do is locate the Avisynth Script (AVS) file generated by GK, as well as the LOG file created from the previous 1st pass. You will also need to note down the settings used for the DivX encoder (Bitrate, MPEG-4 features enabled, etc.), as well as the audio file to be muxed.

Once done, fire up VirtualdubMod. Open the AVS file and the audio file in VDMod (the latter via Audio Tab -> Stream List). Setting the Video tab to Full Processing Mode and Audio tab to Direct Stream Copy (I am assuming that the audio file you have is already compressed and hence requires no further processing), go to Video Tab -> Compression. Select the DivX codec and configure accordingly (remember to input the appropriate bitrate, MPEG-4 features enabled as in the first pass, inputting the LOG file, etc.). Once everything has been finalised, go to File -> Save as... and give a name to the new file.

Tell us how things go. Cheers.

Comment

• ToonFan2002
        • Mar 2002

oh man the decoding process froze for the 4th time by now, so as you see I'm in dire need of good advice. i'm gonna start right in the mornin tomorrow and tell you the results, but my hope is not yet lost thx so far

Comment

• ToonFan2002
          • Mar 2002

ok so here's what happened. i did everything like you described, but i didn't work out. when
          I was about to save as... an error msg popped up saying "cannot start video compression - the
          source image format is not acceptable (error code -2)". but there's one more thing. how can I
          attach the credits that are supposed to be encoded in poor quality? I already have the credtis
          in a file called credits.avi. so when I open the main .avs file, the credits are missing and
          hence the mp3 file is not in match with the video stream - could this lead to the error msg?

p.s. I hate my f**king machine for constantly freezing...

oh btw, am I supposed to select "open video file via avisynth" or just "open video file", cause
          the 1st one doesn't work - when I do that I get an error msg saying "failed to create script", so
          I'm kinda forced to open the .avs file thru open video file, but that just doesn't feel right...

Comment

• BRTACAN2
            • Sep 2003

ToonFan:

You're treating a symptom and not the disease. Your root problem is your PC freezing. Fix that and you're good to go as I see it.

1] What is the temperature of your CPU when your PC locks? A too hot CPU will cause a BSOD in a heartbeat. A hot CPU is not a difficult fix - get a better heatsink/fan and PROPERLY apply thermal compound. http://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm
            2] Are you overclocked? If yes, good for you. BUT... you might want to back off the FSB a tad, because your stability ain't makin' it.
            3] Could be your memory is giving you problems. Download "Memtest86" and use it to test your installed ram. If it won't pass Memtest86, memory may be the culprit. http://www.memtest86.com/
            4] Download a program called Prime95. Prime95 will load test your system by running sequences of fast Fourier transforms in a loop. The program knows the answers in advance. If your PC has a math error (produces a wrong answer) then Prime95 will halt and tell you it had a rounding error or whatever. If a PC can't run Prime95 for for at least several hours, you have a stability or hardware problem - could be temperature, memory, CPU, driver conflict, etc. http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Good luck...

Comment

• ToonFan2002
              • Mar 2002

yo you're my man today I really don't know how to fix my problem, my pc really does freeze a lot. like right now, I just rebooted from a freeze. I really need like 6 tries to get one that runs thru and hence receive a complete avi file. maybe my hardware might reveal some issues to you:

ASUS A7V
              AMD T-Bird 900 Mhz ( 100 MHz FSB )
              2 * 128 MB 133 MHz
              Maxtor Diamond Max9 U-DMA 133 running on a Promise U-ATA 100 controller

that's the main core. I know this is quite old hardware, but it f**king should do its job, no matter how slow. I'm gonna apply all the advice you gave me and hope that I'll be able to fix this **** some day. bwt: a freshly installed win xp sp1 freezes even worse ( means more often ) than me when I try to encode with gordian knot

edit/ my system ain't overclocked, everything's on standard
              Last edited by ToonFan2002; 14 Sep 2003, 09:01 PM.

Comment

• BRTACAN2
                • Sep 2003

ToonFan:

My understanding is that T-bird CPUs run quite hot to begin with. Torturing one with video encoding will definately cause thermal stress. Heat is your most likely problem from what little info I have.

Some more ideas to help you troubleshoot:
                1] Open up your case and point a floor/table fan at your motherboard.
                2] Get a can of "canned air" and blow the dust out of your PC. A layer of dust acts as a winter blanket - not good here. All dust bunnies should be shot on sight.
                3] Take a look at the amount of airflow through your case. If you have no fans except the one in your power supply, that's a problem. Add an intake and exhaust fan if needed.
                EDIT // If either of the above three things causes there to be fewer lockups; then, that points to a heat issue. //

Your ram is actually underclocked 25% since it's PC133 and only running at an FSB of 100MHz. That makes it less likely a ram problem; but, you should run memtest86 anyway. Memory does get cranky and weird sometimes.

DiamondMax9's are good drives. I have 660GB of the 9+ models, (2x80 and 2x250). They're nice and quiet, but they run hot. If the drives internal controller chip exceeds 55C they will lockup. I have mine mounted in Vantec MRK-102FD removable caddies, which display the drive temperature on an LCD. If the ambient temperature hits the high 80's or low 90's your drives will be getting toasty and pushing the envelope without good airflow on them.

Your wording is a little confusing, but it sounds like you did a fresh windoze install. Good, that was another idea I had in the back of my mind.

Anyway, your first step is to immediately check your CPU temperature in bios after you reboot from a freeze.

Good luck.........
                Last edited by BRTACAN2; 15 Sep 2003, 02:51 AM.

Comment

• ToonFan2002
                  • Mar 2002

My ram does run at 133 MHz, it's just not in sync with the FSB. And ironically I just did cleanse my computer's insides from dust like 2 weeks ago. But as you assumed, all I have is the small cpu fan and the fan attached inside of my power supply.

One thing that's strange is that I already encoded longer movies - a mulitpass took me 6 hrs altogehter and everything went smooth. And now and then my computer manages to do the job without freezing. It's just that you can't rely on it, sometimes it freezes, sometimes it doesn't. And I can't tell that it's the hot weather that makes it freeze - I live in the basement and our summer is basically over. And even if I wanted to add fans - my case is a really small one with no visible spots where I could attach any fans

GK used to run better with win xp, but then 3 days ago i tried encoding and it was freezing constantly, so I'm back to win me. At least now I know that it's not a operatin system issue, it's just something with my hardware.

Even if it's a lot of work - I'll just monitor the next encoding session and check out the temperature right after it froze. What's the approx. threshhold the temperature shouldn't surpass?

Comment

• BRTACAN2
                    • Sep 2003

OK... your memory is using a 4:3 divider - makes sense. An educated guess would be that any time your CPU exceeds 70C you're asking for a lockup. I have a 500MHz overclock and my CPU doesn't exceed 50C even if its 90F+/32C+ in the room; but, I have a high capacity watercooling setup with a custom low pressure plenum on the exhaust side of the radiator. Being in the basement is good for your temperatures. But even so, a small CPU fan and the fan in the power supply doesn't cut it for video encoding. Speaking of power supplies, that's another thing that could cause lockups if your voltages are fluxuating more than @5%. During encoding, your CPU immediately hits 100% load and stays pegged for the whole encode. Heat will buildup. If it were me, I'd open the case and aim a floor fan at the motherboard/CPU and see what happens.

Do experiments that change one variable at a time and that will help you isolate your trouble.

Comment

• ToonFan2002
                      • Mar 2002

hmm I don't get this, today I encoded 2 movies and everything went just fine from the beginning, no freezing, no trouble at all. and I didn't change a single thing, didn't tinker with the hardware at all, I didn't even open the case.
                      I've done that memory test you recommended.... it went for 3 hrs without any problems so then I quit it. I really wish I my computer wouldn't be so damn moody. BUT I'm aware of the fact that my recent success doesn't guarantee anything. anyways... thx for your help and all of the pieces of advice. you really seem to know an awful lot about hardware... one can just tell that by taking a glimpse on your hardware you rock man, seriously just tell me one thing: what do you need over 600 gig of hdd for???

ups... looks like I'm trailing off topic

Comment

• BRTACAN2
                        • Sep 2003

Glad to hear things went better for you. You're welcome for the help. Just be ready for it to come back. Problems like that a a bugger; but, troubleshooting is really the most effective way for you to learn about hardware - it's educational. I learned the hard way too. Uggggg!

Why do I need 660 gigs? The 2x80's are my working drives. The 2x 250's are for an HTPC I'm going to build. I hate the clutter of hundreds of CD and DVD cases on the shelf in the livingroom. So, I'm ripping all my stuff to high quality DivX and MP3 backups. Half a terabyte of AV drives oughta do it. All movies and music will be click-click-go rather than fumbling with cases and discs. My wife will love it. Plus all that CD and DVD case clutter will go in a box in the closet.

Sean out....

Comment

• ToonFan2002
                          • Mar 2002

hmm sounds like a nice solution... if one has enough money for 2 * 250 gb hdds

anyways... could u maybe gimme your email or sth cause I have a general problem with win xp and I'd like to ask you about it - nobody was able to help me with it and it's even worse than the one I have so far ( with the encoding and all ) and I think maybe u might know how to fix it. if u don't want your email to be displayed here just contact me: nasty_stupid_weirdo@yahoo.de

Comment

• BRTACAN2
                            • Sep 2003

ToonFan:

You can email me at sardia@matavnet.hu

I'm more of a hardware guy than an OS/Software guy. But, email and describe the trouble. If I can help you I will.

Comment

Working...