Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bernabeu
    • Oct 2003

problems with xvid movie...

I am having problems playing a movie. I start the movie and I get a lot of green patches (most of the screen is green) and the picture is upside down.

when I use AVIcodec to see what the codecs are it says XVID mpeg-4 for the video codec and MPEG layer-3 for the audio codec.

I downloaded the xvid codec. I am playing the movie with windows media player.

Can someone suggest something I can download to fix the problem or any other solutions please? I am no expert.

Thank you kindly for any help.
  • eastend
    • Oct 2003

This will make you madder then I am right now, but I did all of that, even downloaded an mpeg-4 codec for the video and my movie is still messed. If you no a way to fix this please post.

And thanks barnabeu

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Download and install the FFDShow filter...

Comment

• eastend
        • Oct 2003

setarip thank you! that was exactly what I needed to play my xvid. Now if I could only find a program that converts xvid's into vcd's

thanks you again setarip

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To eastend

"thanks you again setarip"

My pleasure ;>}

"Now if I could only find a program that converts xvid's into vcd's"

To create a VCD:

1) Load .AVI file (Xvid-compressed or otherwise) into TMPGEnc
          2) Set to "System Video and Audio" (lower right side)
          3) Click on "Setting" radio button
          4) Click on "System" tab, change mode to "MPEG1-VideoCD" (from default of "MPEG1")
          5) Click on "Advanced" tab, change "Video arrange method" to "Center (Custom Size"), change dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240
          6) Change "Source aspect ratio" to either "4:3 525 line (NTSC 704x480)", "4:3 525 line (NTSC)", or "16:9 525 line (NTSC)" - If you're in the PAL world choose either of the two similar PAL settings instead
          7) Under the "Video" tab, change the dimensions to 352x288 or 352x240 (Note: "Video" tab mode of "MPEG1" is okay) - set "Motion Search Precision" to "Normal Quality". Change the "Aspect Ratio" to match, as closely as possible, the "Source Aspect Ratio" you set under the "Advanced" tab.
          8) Change "Rate Control Mode" to "Automatic VBR (CQ_VBR)" and "Bitrate" to "1,150"
          9) Under the "Audio" tab, set to "MPEG-1 Layer II", 44,100 224Kbps
          10) Press "Start"

(Or, instead of the steps 1)-10) above, you could attempt to use TMPGEnc's VCD "wizard"/template)

Note that if your video runs longer than 70-80 minutes, you'll have to subsequently split your VCD-MPG file in two. This too can be easily and precisely accomplished using TMPGEnc. Under the "Files" dropdown menu, click on "MPEG Tools" and select the "Merge & Cut" tab. Once again, make sure to change the mode to "MPEG1-Video CD". Load your file and enter a new (.MPG) name in the "Output file" box. Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL file's name in the window, which will bring you to the cutting area. Select your desired start and end points for the first half, click on "Okay" which will bring you back to the first window and generate (in a sequence of three automated steps) the first new file. To create the second new file, repeat the steps starting with "Then doubleclick on the ORIGINAL..." (be extra patient with the second half, as the program has to do more seeking to establish the beginning of the new file).

Use a burning program, such as NERO to burn your CD-R or R/W CD as a VCD (DON'T ask NERO to format the file as a VCD, since you've already accomplished this!)

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• eastend
            • Oct 2003

i tried converting but it failed half way wich sucks. if you got any ideas let me no, or if you no of any ofther programs to convert xvid's to vcd (i no tmpgenc is the best) let me no

thanks

Comment

• jopa
              • Apr 2004

Many people seem to be having this same problem as I once did:

Green screen in Windows Media Player with scattered weird blocks.

Often if you fix this problem you get no audio. Here is an easy way to have both high quality Xvid video and audio (wow! what a concept)

If you have Nimo codec pack installed, uninstall it completely, as well as any other divx/xvid codecs listed in Add/Remove programs. I am not saying Nimo is crap, but it screwed up my computer. I am sure there are very good codecs included in the pack, but it seems unstable.

Download and install the 3ivx codec from http://www.3ivx.com/download/index.html . I have found that their website is down sometimes, so if you get an error, just try them again a little while later.

Now you should have video.

If you still don't have audio go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/ac3filter/ , click on Download and download the exe version of the latest build (should be the top one). When you install this AC3 audio decoder, your audio should work.

Some files, however use Ogg Vorbis encoding for the audio, in that case install the Ogg decoder from http://www.divx-ac3.com/ .

At least all of this fixed it on my WinXP machine.

Also, if this message helps you fix the problem, please cut and paste this fix to every message board you know of where people are having this problem. Maybe we can put an end to it once and for all.

Comment

• Yeehaw
                • Jul 2004

Wholly crapola that fixed my problems!

Thanks to Jopa!
                I was getting this crappy green distorted crap and thought that it was something to do with a codec issue but was not able to narrow it down. I removed the Nimo codec pack...voila, all the movies that I thought were garbage...they now work...thanks again Jopa, you're a godsend!

Comment

Working...