Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JessCC
    • Oct 2003

XviD Codec

Hi, I'm new here, and I know it's going to sound stupid but I'll ask anyway, where can I get the XviD Codec? And which one is the more "stable" version, at least, for a Newbie to handle?

Thanks!
  • shiny#3
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jul 2003

go here and download koepis stable build...

Download the Xvid Codec, an open source MPEG-4 codec for encoding and decoding (playback)

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

Unstable versions work fine.

If you are interested in viewing XviD files only though, I would recommend FFDShow instead.

Comment

• zx50
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        Digital Video Enthusiast
        • Aug 2003

If you are interested in encoding video, then i would suggest that you get nics build much better but if you just need to watch films with the XviD codec then just download koepi's like the one above me says!!
        Computer Fanatic

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

zx50,

FFDShow works and looks better when it comes to viewing. The plain vanilla decoder that comes with Koepi's does not come with any post-processing filters (which really help with low-bitrate videos).

Regards.

Comment

• vic_vega
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • May 2003

So enchanter, which are you saying is better?
            I have Koepi's....

Comment

• zx50
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Aug 2003

Enchanter,

All i meant was if he was after any thing just to watch video's with then just download an XviD codec, any. But if he was after a one the gave him the best picture when it came to encoding with then nic's is the best bet, that's all i meant.

P.S i misread your thread i thought you said koepi's, obviously you did'nt.
              Computer Fanatic

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

"All i meant was if he was after any thing just to watch video's with then just download an XviD codec, any"

The former can mean encoding and decoding, whereas the latter simply means decoding. Which do you really mean? Your sentence is rather confusing.

Let me restate this: If viewing movies is the primary AND only purpose, FFDShow will do the job far better than the XviD codec(s).

If encoding comes into the picture as well, there will be need to install the XviD codec (simply because FFDShow does not do compression). I have not much experience beyond Nic's and Koepi's builds, but I can tell you that I use Koepi's Unstable builds and they worked charmingly.

Comment

• zx50
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  Digital Video Enthusiast
                  • Aug 2003

Koepi's builds are too fast, fast does'nt always works best, i have done tests in the past and found that nic's is the best keeps more detail. i always try and get the slowest i can (reasonably slow that is) umaniacs is slow but does'nt have advanced features like VHQ or many others and it does'nt keep as much detail as nic's, but i mean if you like koepi's thats absolutely fine that's your choice, but i use nic's and would'nt even think of going back to koepi's and definetly not umaniacs.

P.S about that sentence, all i meant was if he was after any XviD codec just to watch films then any would do, i don't really know how good ffdshow is so i'll leave that part up to you, but when it comes to nic's i still insist that they are the best for encoding but people have different opinions and taste.
                  Computer Fanatic

Comment

• josephu
                    • Oct 2003

zx50,

is slow is best why not encode using divx 5 pro?

Comment

• zx50
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      Digital Video Enthusiast
                      • Aug 2003

Because DivX 5 pro encodes too fast and leaves the picture with too much noise, it's like it's on a maratthon or something. whereas DivX 5.1.1 beta is much better it just about matches the quality of XviD but there's still the problem of misssing manual quantizers, because in some films you need to lower the quantizers to a certain level so you don't get the blockiness but they don't seem to listen they only see their way of doing things. Thats still the only 1 thing that leaves XviD in front. I did think that DivX Pro 5.1.1 was better but it is'nt missing quantizers still leaves XviD out in front by one.

Hope that answers your question
                      Computer Fanatic

Comment

• zx50
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        Digital Video Enthusiast
                        • Aug 2003

By the way i think you meant DivX 5.1 Pro, i thought you meant DivX 5 Pro (there is a difference)!!
                        Computer Fanatic

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

"is slow is best why not encode using divx 5 pro?"

That's almost like encoding with XviD using the H.263 Quant.

Comment

• zx50
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Aug 2003

When doing wide search and the mpeg qaunt, because it's going very slow do you get noise free results at the end, (i've never tried that way before) because i just use the H.263 quant. But i always use the wide search function better and more accurate then mode 1 decision which leaves the picture noisy (depending on the bitrate used of course) so have you tried it or do you do it that way or....

P.S say if you have a film thats 1:23 and a bitrate of 979kbps
                            Last edited by zx50; 2 Nov 2003, 03:52 AM.
                            Computer Fanatic

Comment

Working...