X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stomach
    • Oct 2003

Encoding .avi to mpeg2 (svcd) problems please... please... help

hi there,

I have a doubt with audio when encoding .avi to mpeg2 (SVCD).
    I am doing it this way:
    - open .avi file in VirtualDub
    - load filters to resize and add subtitles
    - save wav
    - start frame server (saving .vdr file)
    - open TMPGEnc
    - in TMPGEnc open .vdr and wav file then thru the wizard I setup this:
    -SCVD PAL (I am in Poland)
    - Video type - non interlace
    - Aspect ratio - 4:3
    - rate control mode - 2-pass VBR(VBR) and using SVCD calc. setting avrg. bitrate and max bitrate and min bitrate depending on the movie length
    - Encode mode - non interlace
    - motion search precision - normal

...and when I finish encoding I receive file mpg which I drag to NERO and burn SVCD...
    ...and when playing in DVD player I note that voice is earlier then picture.. Sorry but I am just starting my adventure with encoding... is there anyone who is patient and would explain me where I do mistake that voice and picture aren't played parallel but the voice earlier... maybe I use wrong bitrate calc. I really need someone to tell me a tip... please...

thanks in advance and regards to all
    stomach
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Load the original .AVI video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Have you played the original .AVI video file - to determine if it's out of synch BEFORE conversion with TMPGEnc?

Have you played the SVCD, BEFORE burning, from your hard drive - to determine if it's out of synch BEFORE using NERO to burn?

Comment

• Stomach
      • Oct 2003

You know what? - Believe it or not but... this is the best forum I've ever participated in - in the internet. I am very glad that people here are so friendly and helpful and respond on every post - THANK YOU ALL !!!
      Ok now responce
      1 - 3 ) I'll do that as soon as I finish my latest test with VirtualDub which is now busy as a frame server.. it will take about 3 hours...

With what should I play an original .AVI before conv. to determine if it's out of synch? VirtualDub or TMPGEnc? A bit confused - I mean I lost point in this question... sorry...

I couldn' play SVCD from my HDD before burning it... coz I need to install first a codec MPEG2 to allow this... btw it wasn't a waste of another CD since I'm using CD-RW... I will try to install that codec since I see it's easier to control and save time.
      I'll back to this post to attach the screenshot you were talking about... Would you then tell me something more based on that...?

later
      stomach

Comment

• Stomach
        • Oct 2003

regarding my previous post... not sure whether it has some meaning but when I open an original AVI in VirtualDub (Chicago movie) i get some message window appears and says something about improper audio bitrate bla.. bla.. bla.. and advices me to re-encode audio stream with CBR (126,2 +- 16,4 kbyte/s)... I really post more info about file information later.. still frame serving...

later
        stomach

Comment

• Stomach
          • Oct 2003

First is that "improper VBR" message window...
          Attached Files

Comment

• Stomach
            • Oct 2003

Then second is that file_information you mentioned about for that movie which is an issue here...

What now...?
            Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Rather than trying to get at the root cause of your synchronization problem, let me suggest the following:

You can resynch the MPEG2-SCD file as follows:

1) Load it into TMPGEnc

2) Set mode to "MPEG-2SuperVideoCD"

3) From under the "Advanced" tab, put a checkmark next to and then double click on "Source Range"

4) Enter an appropriate positive or negative amount of milleseconds (thousandths of a second) next to "Audio gap correct"

5) Save with a new filename

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Stomach
                • Oct 2003

sorry for late response...

Thank you for your tips. I wrote it down and will try to use them in case of problem blows again. In the meantime I was poking around and found some other way to fix that.

1. I save as wav the audio stream from movie depending on the format : if it's ac3 (5 channels) then I save as wav but give ac3 ext. if it's stream (2 channels) then save as wav as mp3

2. If ac3 is the case then convert it to wav within HeadAC3he and then convert it to mp2 in TMPGEnc doing audio only. If mp3 then convert it to wav within CDex and then to mp2 in TMPGEnc doing audio only.

3. Video stream I proceed normal way : in VirtulaDub add subtitles and start frame server then in TMPGEnc do only video conversion and convert it to mv2.

4. Then having two files mv2 and mp2 I Simple Multiplex then under MPEG Tools... in TMPGEnc... and it works !!! No more out of sync.

I use forum as help but I like to poke around myself...
                Anyway thanks a lot for help !!!

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Whatever floats your boat ;>}

Comment

Working...