• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LaFouine
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Dec 2001

DivX4 2 pass log file and avi size

Does anyone know how to use the informations written in the log file generated during the 1st pass of a 2 pass divX4 encoding, and then calculate precisely the size of the generated avi ?

Any informations about the content of this logfile would also be welcome...

What a question, Hu ?
    Rip In Peace
    LaFouine
  • Kaiser-Soze
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

One great advantage of using 2 pass is to have the AVI made at the exact desired filesize. Use a DivX calculator wich u can download from www.digital-digest.com
    Speak until the tape runs out. Playback the tape until the story is finished...

Comment

• LaFouine
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Dec 2001

I don't agree with you...

The problem with a 2 pass encoding is that the birate is variable, according to the scenes. A high motion scene will have a higher bitrate than a low motion one.

All the birate calculators you can find in download section are not precise with 2 pass encoding because they use the average birate of the encoding. That's a big difficulty to calculate the exact file size, because of that variable birate. To be perfect, the calculator should use the log file generated during 1st pass. None is doing it that way.

That's why I'm searching explanations about the data stored in the log file, in order to work on my own, precise, calculator.

Thanks anyway...
      Rip In Peace
      LaFouine

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

For crying out loud...........

DIVX v4 is bad, tooooo big file size,

Use DIVX fast motion 6000 bitrate (when source is REALLY GOOD) cause it will reduce the file size, dramatically and no blocks will appear!

Alternativly, use low motion with a DIVX bitrate calc. It fits a DVD movie on one CD without loss of quality.

Techno

Comment

• LaFouine
          Platinum Member
          Platinum Member
          • Dec 2001

How can you say that !!!!

DivX4.12 is perfect when you know how to use it, that's all... I think much better quality than divX3.11 especially in 2 pass encoding.

My only question is to get informations about log file in order to make myself a very precise bitrate calculator...

When a rip a DVD I usually make a 2 CDs movie, with menus, bonus, commentary, subtitles and so on. So I need to know as precisely as possible the size of the generated avi, according to bitrate/logfile.

See you
          Rip In Peace
          LaFouine

Comment

• Kaiser-Soze
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jan 2002

1 pass (not quality based) is also variable (I use that, Much more faster)
            Anyway good luck on your search
            Speak until the tape runs out. Playback the tape until the story is finished...

Comment

Working...