X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sedulous
    • Nov 2003

MPEG2 and MPEG1 conversion to divx/xvid leaves audio out of sync

Hmmm. This is a confusing one for me.

Basically I have recorded tv shows onto MPEG2 or MPEG1 video and audio, and since they can consume quite an amount of HDD space I would like to encode them to xvid or divx.

I use virtualdub, and encode both the audio and video at once however when the project is finished the audio is delayed by atleast 300ms (0.3 seconds). This is rather frustrating.

My machine is a dell inspiron 5100 P4 2.8ghz, 512 ddr. I would have thought it could handle this type of divx compression?

I've read and searched these forums, but mostly its related to tmpegenc or playback issues.

Any help would be much appreciated,
    sedulous
  • StarRide
    • Aug 2003

i had this problem before, and i think i solved it by not using virtualdub to convert the mpeg1/2 audio.

try using another program maybe. i dont really like loading mpeg1/2 files in virtualdub.

Comment

• i_t_man
      • Feb 2003

What do you use if not VirtualDub? I too would like to convert mpeg-2's to Divx but want the same functionality I have using DVX. I need to be able to control the end file size, etc.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"when the project is finished the audio is delayed by atleast 300ms (0.3 seconds)."

Adjust the audio offset with this value under the Audio tab or, in the case of VirtualdubMod, the Streams List.

Note too that VirtualdubMod can open MPEG-2 files, in addition to MPEG-1 files.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To sedulous

Try using MPEG Mediator instead of VirtualDub...

Comment

• sedulous
            • Nov 2003

enchanter, yes i figured that out 10minutes just before u told me thanks very much! )

Yes for anyone who needs to figure out what happened, u need to goto the audio interleaving menu and disable the delay!

Woohooo
            thanks everybody

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

Glad to see things worked out for you.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...