Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pertwee
    • Nov 2003

Thanks SpikeSpiegel!

I pretty much understand all your advice which has been most helpful.

When you say that you lose all of field B and half the length of field A when you downsize from 720x576 to 384x288 I take it to mean that you are referring to the capture process ie. only capturing at that resolution and frame rate??? I would understand it if these capture settings gave you lousy quality. What about if you were to capture at full resolution, perform all your editing in Premier and then export the finished movie as a 384x288 25fps movie??? Is there any benefit to de-interlacing the captured file first (in VDubMod with SmartDeinterlace for example) before editing the file in Premiere and then downsizing for export???

The world of multi-media needs a ruthless dictator to enforce some sort of order to the quagmire of formats for video out there.

Kind regards

Pertwee.

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Apr 2003

Briefly: Never change resolution, use SmartDeinterlace.

If you wanna know why:
      No, I assumed that you capture @ 25fps with res. 720*576 and export to DV without changing these parameters.
      If you downsize resolution, IN ANY CASE (BEFORE of AFTER capturing-exporting), you will loose something:

definition (if the video is progressive or if you double the frame rate in interlaced ones)
      or
      definition + "fluidity" (if the video is interlaced and if you don't change the frame rate)

Halveing res. of int. video & doubling frame rate (=SeparateFields+Resize), the def. loss is half (but still great) the one that you could obtain halveing the res. of a progressive video (in this case you loose 1/2 horiz. lines, while with int. videos those lines [fieldB] are moved to the next frame)
      This, combined to the fact that low resolution is good for low bitrates, explains why somebody say that "downsize is better". If you wanna fit 2hours video in a floppy disk that's the best choice (...)

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Apr 2003

Anyway the "altitude" of the two fields is different and this produces "flickers"
        If you keep the same frame rate (as you wish to) you erase flickers, but definition-fluidity goes to...well I think you understood

The only way to have no loss of def. and f. is to keep the resolution and deinterlace. I don't know (and, most of all, I don't care) if there's a way to deint. the video before exporting...
        Anyway only one rule is undeniable: "Empirical way is better!"
        ...in other words: have some tests and let me know!

Good luck!

Comment

• Pertwee
          • Nov 2003

Thank you!!

Armed with this information I shall immerse myself in the abyss and come out with something useful I am sure - I will let you now how I do.

Kind regards

Pertwee

Comment

• neuron2
            • May 2003

Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel
            Yes, it's a VD-VDMod filter (and, most of all, a Donald Graft filter=great quality)
            Hey thanks, Spike. Very kind of you to say so.

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Apr 2003

@neuron2
              Is it really you?
              Welcome to this forum, anyway!

Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel
              Yes, it's a VD-VDMod filter (and, most of all, a Donald Graft filter=great quality
              this is just an observation:
              tons of really-bad-encoded anime videos passed through Smart Smoother and I ever had good results and, even if I don't handle interlaced stuff very often, when it happened, Smart Deinterlacer proved to be the best deint. filter.

Comment

• neuron2
                • May 2003

Originally Posted by SpikeSpiegel
                @neuron2
                Is it really you?

I pop in when I run out of new threads to read at Doom9.

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

Great to see you neuron2. Come in more often.

Regards
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

Working...