X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gjhicks
    • Nov 2003

Help on encoding parameters

Hi,

I am using XviD to encode TV programs that I am capturing in real time. I have it set to '1800' encoding rate on the top page of the parameter setup. I record the audio as uncompressed PCM in real time.

Later, I use VirtualDub later to compress the audio with a mpeg3 codec and "direct stream" copy the video. The resulting AVI file for a "1 hour" (actually about 43 mins) is about 500-550mb.

Overall, I am pretty happy.

BUT, how can I make use (or should I make use?) of the various other options on the other 'pages' of the parameter setup?

Also, I use the DivX Player 2.1 to view the final product. Is there a way to set the AVI to appear as a DivX file, so that the picture characteristics (brightness, contrast, etc) dialog is useable?

Thanks,

Geoff.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

"BUT, how can I make use (or should I make use?) of the various other options on the other 'pages' of the parameter setup?"

Use B-frames and VHQ (1-4, which is better is debatable) parameters. They help to optimise bits utilisation and hence improve the post-compression quality.

"Is there a way to set the AVI to appear as a DivX file, so that the picture characteristics (brightness, contrast, etc) dialog is useable?"

You can change the FourCC code of the .avi file to DIVX and that effectively tells your media players that the particular file is DivX5-compressed.

Alternatively, you might want to consider using FFDShow as decoder instead. It can handle DivX and XviD contents, and has various features that you may find useful and interesting.

Regards.
    Last edited by Enchanter; 26 Nov 2003, 11:25 PM.

Comment

• gjhicks
      • Nov 2003

Hi,

Thanks for your help and suggestions, I will give them a try.

I would also like to try using FFDShow and have just downloaded the program.

But, I have a probably silly question, just how do I use it? Is there a particular player I need? Does it work with the DivX player?

Thanks,

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

"just how do I use it?"

Simply configure it to handle the compression formats you want it to handle (under the Configuration window -> Codecs tab).

That's it. You can then use any media player to play your videos and FFDShow will be the default decoder (if it has been set to handle the compression type used).

Regards.

Comment

• gjhicks
          • Nov 2003

Thanks, sorry to ask a silly question.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

No worries. No question is stupid when genuinely asked.

Regards.

Comment

• gjhicks
              • Nov 2003

Me again.

I have downloaded and installed FFDshow. I set it as the default decoder for Xvid (and DivX) encoded files.

I tried using it with DivX Player 2.1 and Windows Media Player 9 but it seems to have no effect. I tried both XviD and DivX encoded files.

For example, in FFDshow, the "now playing" dialog remains greyed out and although I set the "OSD" (and re-started the players) nothing showed up.

Any suggestions? Should I use a particular player?

Thanks

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

All you need to do is set the compression types to be handled by FFDShow from under the "Codecs" tab, and from that point on, playing video files with the compression types set to Enabled/Libavcodec by FFDShow will henceforth be decoded by FFDShow. You need not strictly do anything else to enable playback by FFDShow.

You might also want to try the excellent media player alternatives out there. I heartily recommend BSPlayer and/or WMP 6.4.

Regards.

Comment

Working...