Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ram16
    • Nov 2003

DivX vs DVD Shrink

I've just created my first sucessful backup of a DVD using DVD Shrink and Nero 5. It took a few attempts to get it right but basically the process is quite easy and much quicker than I expected. The quality suits me fine. What am I missing by not using DivX?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Absolutely nothing!

If you have the ability to burn and playback DVDs, there's no reason to "trade down" to a lesser quality end product that takes more time to create...

Comment

• ram16
      • Nov 2003

Thanks for your candor. I was expecting to be told how much better the quality was and that this is an inferior technique.

Comment

• georgiek50
        • Dec 2003

Actually, to be correct, DivX provides a much better quality/size ratio than DVD could ever hope to, but quality can never be as good as the DVD; if you are experienced you can come very close to it, with 15-20% of the filesize. Again, if you don't care how large the files are, DVD is the solution for you. It also depends on what you are going to be doing with the video. If you are making it available for download then you better invest the time to learn DivX's superior compression scheme. Hope this helped.

Comment

• ram16
          • Nov 2003

Thanks. I understand about the difference in file size however all I'm doing is backing up DVDs so as long as it fits on a disk with reasonable quality I'm happy.

Comment

• HDKorp
            • Dec 2003

DVD Shrink is the king of DVD Backups!

I'm fairly cormfortable using DivX or some form of it to make backups, so when I stubbled upon DVD Shrink which was installed from DVD X Copy Xpress...I was pleasently surprised! I just tried DVD Shrink for 2 different movies (backed up DVD with all menus and extras and written to a blank DVD in an average of an hour! DivX can't do that, plus the quality is almost as good as the original!) and I just converted to a loyal DVD Shrink user! It's fast, easy to use...and did I mention that it's fast! DVD Shrink is great for when you have kids that just toss the DVDs like frisbies and then wonder why their favorite DVD won't work anymore. Just pull out the original, make a copy and put the original back in safe storage.

Comment

• ram16
              • Nov 2003

I agree. I suspect others will follow suit.

Comment

• georgiek50
                • Dec 2003

Well, in my opinion MPEG-2 (DVD) is the technology of today but MPEG-4 (DivX) is the technology of tomorrow. DVD has one major drawback, it's HUGE. With portable devices coming into play, smaller and smaller filesizes will be needed. Of course, the easiest backing up solution and most supported is DVD->DVD copying, especially now that burners are becoming so cheap, but don't undestimate the power of the new technology. It is the technology of the future and IMHO will outdate DVDs, not soon, but sooner than later...until then, shrink away!

Comment

• ram16
                  • Nov 2003

Georgiek50, your point is well made and I agree that any technology that makes the smallest file size will eventually find a home. However, in the case of MPEG 4 as you point out "NOT SOON", so don't you think that in the interim something even better (smaller) will emerge?

Comment

• georgiek50
                    • Dec 2003

Very likely, but as trends show, if MPEG-4 catches on as it's promising too, it will become the wave of the future, something else like MPEG-5 (you get the point) will come out, and most people will have their DivX/DVD players for years until they switch to something new. The point in my awful sentence above is that marketers suck out as much as possible from one product, then move to the next, regardless of how good something new is. DVD's have been around for a long long time, but it's only been a couple years since they have become as common as VHS players in consumers' homes.

Comment

• ram16
                      • Nov 2003

I do get the point. Maximizing profits is the American way no matter how many have to suffer to enrichen the few. I could have bought a burner years ago but waited until recently for price considerations. By the time I buy things they are obsolete so I'm always behind the power curve. Doesn't matter to me. I'd rather have the money in my pocket. DVD Shrink works for me. If file size ever becomes a consideration for me I'll look into the (then) current technology.

Comment

• georgiek50
                        • Dec 2003

I'm with you all the way, in fact, I'm stretching it out a little more. I am going to wait still until DVD prices drop to start shrinking. It's not the price of the actual burner that gets me, it's the one dollar each dvd costs as opposed to the 10 cents you can find CD's at. I don't even want to start thinking about how low of a fraction of a penny it costs to make DVD's or CD's....

To be 100% honest though, I love DivX...I enjoy the actual encoding process much more than watching the movie itself, and I enjoy programming my movie organizer much more than the actual collection of movies...I guess that makes make me a full fledged computer nerd

Comment

• divxdude
                          Gold Member
                          Gold Member
                          • Dec 2001

Originally posted by georgiek50
                          I'm with you all the way, in fact, I'm stretching it out a little more. I am going to wait still until DVD prices drop to start shrinking. It's not the price of the actual burner that gets me, it's the one dollar each dvd costs as opposed to the 10 cents you can find CD's at. I don't even want to start thinking about how low of a fraction of a penny it costs to make DVD's or CD's....

To be 100% honest though, I love DivX...I enjoy the actual encoding process much more than watching the movie itself, and I enjoy programming my movie organizer much more than the actual collection of movies...I guess that makes make me a full fledged computer nerd
                          Man, couldnt agree more. prices are still too steep on the DVD end than what i can afford. im waiting.

And georg, the encoding process is indeed fascinating. call me a friggen geek, whatever, i sat down the other tinkering with DVX for like 4-6 hours straight, just nitpicking and toying with all the script (filters). piece of advice, never use a deblocker script unless you absolutely HAVE TO!!!!, it raised encoding time from 3-4 hours to 8-10 hours LOL. ugh!!!!!!!, ouch.

Comment

Working...