X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hey Yoda
    • Jan 2002

First DVD to DivX encode - No Audio??

I recently converted Evil Dead to divx with the help of this guide:

Digital Digest DivX XviD Articles, Guides Section - List of recommended, top 10 DivX, XviD and AVI articles, guides and reviews , latest news and updates

Well I did everything they said and I was happy to get very nice high quality out, but unfortunately no audio. What happened? I've tried various codecs including mp3 and wma. When I use the audio player in Flask, I can hear the audio just fine. But when I go to encode it says bitrate: N/A and audio format: N/A.

Anything you guys can think of that might be the problem?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Do you, by any chance, have Flask set to "Don't decode audio" under the "Audio" tab?

Comment

• Hey Yoda
      • Jan 2002

Nope, I have it set to "decode audio."

Actually I ran across something interesting when reading these forums. Apparently there is a bug in Flask .60.

Talk about the AVI file container, and the Divx/Xvid codecs that are most commonly found in AVI files

"1) When using the Radium codec, accessing the Configure Output screen twice cancels it. Result: No audio in your DivX. This is obviously a big problem when doing 2-pass encoding.

Note: This also happens if you try to do 2 one-pass encodings without a reboot.

Possible cure: Reboot your machine after doing the first-pass on a 2-pass encode. When doing a 1-pass make sure you don't access the "Configure Output" screen twice (it doesn't matter if you don't access the audio codec twice -- it's the screen BEFORE that causes the problem!). "

I tried his solution of rebooting and yet it still says:

audio bitrate: N/A
      audio format: N/A

Does mean there will be no sound in the output? I don't want to wait the 5 hours to find out.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I don't want to wait the 5 hours to find out."

You can simply press "Abort" after 5 or 10 minutes and check your output file to see if it contains audio...

Comment

• Hey Yoda
          • Jan 2002

Originally posted by setarip

You can simply press "Abort" after 5 or 10 minutes and check your output file to see if it contains audio...
          How then can I check to see if it has audio? All my file players will only play complete divx's. Can you recommend a file player which can play incomplete divx?

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Actually I ran across something interesting when reading these forums. Apparently there is a bug in Flask .60.
            Yes there are several postings on this forum and others. Although I suspect this problem is also present in other versions of flask.

I think it's caused by conflicts between audio codecs, for instance you might have several different mp3 codecs installed, this apparently confuses flask.

Sorry I can't offer any sertain solutions.
            I think your best chance would be to uninstall all the codecs you don't need and reinstall the ones you need.
            Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
            http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• khp
              The Other
              • Nov 2001

audio bitrate: N/A
              audio format: N/A

Does mean there will be no sound in the output? I don't want to wait the 5 hours to find out.
              *edit*
              was: Most likely yes, but
              Should be:
              You mean in the status window durring encoding right ?
              That doen't mean anything, sorry about my misunderstanding
              *edit*

to test it u can transcode a very small segment by using the "|_" and "_|" buttons to select a range, click add job to and a job containing the selected range, and then select the big job and delete that.
              Last edited by khp; 28 Jan 2002, 04:27 PM.

Comment

• Hey Yoda
                • Jan 2002

Originally posted by khp

*edit*
                was: Most likely yes, but
                Should be:
                You mean in the status window durring encoding right ?
                Yep, that's what I'm talking about. So I guess that actually doesn't mean anything then? Anywho, I'm using flask .594 and everything is ok except the volume level is kind of quiet, but supposedly I can fix that up with vdub.

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

So I guess that actually doesn't mean anything then?
                  Yes AFAIK flask 0.6 never reports audio setting correctly durring the encoding.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"How then can I check to see if it has audio? All my file players will only play complete divx's."

You WILL (at least with Flask v.0.594 and its variants) have a complete DivX .AVI file...

Comment

Working...