• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • coorrel
    • May 2004

encode divx with multiple subtitles

hi,
    just started to learn about subtitles.
    I use gk and vdubmod to encode my divx, my question is what do i need to edit in the .avs or whatever to have multiple subtitles hard coded in the moive?
    is this possible? or does everyone use external subbing prog. to view their multi-subs??

thanks
  • SpikeSpiegel
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2003

The best way to add multiple subs to a divx file is to convert them to "text subtitles":
    this way you can modify color, font, etc without increasing the file size (usually they are<100k)

The best (and maybe the only..) program that can do that is SubRip (freeware)
    It's not really easy to use, so if you have problems let me know...

Comment

• coorrel
      • May 2004

thanks fort the response
      But say i got my 2 sub files in txt format already, how would i incorporate it in to the encoder for both subs to be encoded?
      Last edited by coorrel; 10 May 2004, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• SpikeSpiegel
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Apr 2003

You can't add 2subs DURING the encoding process: this method is used only for adding PERMANENTLY only 1sub (subs are fixed in frames and cannot be erased).

...but you can "join" 2 or more subs and the AVI-DivX file (after the conversion) with VobSub: this way you will be able to change/erase/etc 'em when you want.
        The only problem is that you can display subs only if VobSub (or a similiar program) is installed or if you use some video players (like WMP9, WMPClassic, CrystalPlayer, BSPlayer, etc)

Anyway, if you own a Kiss player or if you use Crystal-BS-WMPClassic you'd better leave subs and divx files separated.

Comment

• Qyd
          Digital Video Technician
          Digital Video Technician
          • Oct 2002

you can use vdubmod to mux multiple subtitles (and audio streams for that matter) when you save in the mkv (matroska) format.

however, it doesn;t "endode" them, it just records (muxes) them in one file.

Comment

Working...