Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lnknprk
    • May 2004

Best Video Codec

I hope this is a more suitable section for my question.

What is the best video codec.

I tried backing up Matrix Reloaded, but the encoded introduction playback looks fuzzy (it's the green matrix code part in the beginning). I think this is because the original graphics has a lot of frames and is moving very fast.

I generally use ms mpeg 4 v3 for quality (better than divx versions) as close to dvd as possible. What should codec should I use to correct the above problem.

Please share your insights. Thank you.
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

the settings with which you encoded into divx must have been wrong... i encoded matrix reloaded myself on 2CD's, and it looked great.
    but in my opinion, use xvid... i recently made the switch from divx

xvid is MANY times faster than divx on my system, and looks better in higher bitrates

good luck
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• lnknprk
      • May 2004

Thanks a lot for your response. May you share your settings. I've been playing around with them all day, but am still getting those fuzzy boxes. Don't know what settings would help.

2 cds is amazing, I usually need 4 cdrs for a backup (msmpeg 4).

It's generally the lower the size the lower quality it is, so I'm interested in your xvid settings.

Thank you again for your earlier post.

Comment

• ziadost
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

i cannot remember my exact settings, but these links will help you get a very high quality xvid encode... trust me

Here is an xvid encoding guide - http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/...rdianknot.html

and this guide explains all the settings in xvid - http://www.divx-digest.com/articles/xvid_setup.html

if you follow these you will get a nice encode... i recommend 2CD's for matrix reloaded

good luck

Comment

• reboot
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Apr 2004

get a very high quality xvid encode
          Is there really such a thing?
          Try huffyuv, Panasonic DV, or Canopus DV for real quality.
          My DVDLab (and other) Guides

Comment

• lnknprk
            • May 2004

thanks for the recommendations--- huffy is good and lossless, but runs up in high MB. I'm doing a 6 cd xvid encode :|

most ppl like 1,2,3 cds but to me, for a backup like matrix reloaded, the quality is crap

Comment

• ziadost
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

why on earth would you do a 6 CD xvid encode? if you don't mind having that sort of hard drive/CD space being used up, you might as well not encode them at all!

BTW, i don't reckon i could spot the quality difference between a 3CD and 6CD rip of matrix reloaded

Comment

• reboot
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2004

BTW, i don't reckon i could spot the quality difference between a 3CD and 6CD rip of matrix reloaded
                Yeah, that's a tough call. It's not THAT long of a movie, and at roughly 6000kbps average bitrate, it's STILL only going to take 3 disks for a dvdr backup. Why encode xvid on 6? I don't get it...

Comment

• lnknprk
                  • May 2004

why on earth would you do a 6 CD xvid encode? if you don't mind having that sort of hard drive/CD space being used up, you might as well not encode them at all!
                  Well, having it on the hard drive isn't really backing it up for me. I use most of my HDD for tentative storage. I use cdrs so I can pull it out years to come.

There's is much much difference with a 3 cdR versus a 6 cdR encode. I'm trying to get it as close to dvd quality as possible without the infamous blocky video. I've been testing for days. Unless my settings are bad.

Why encode xvid on 6? I don't get it...
                  If I had a dvdr drive ---things would be much much easier :| I wouldn't even use xvid. I wouldn't compress it at all; with the exception of dvd shrinking it. Maybe some misunderstanding on the type of discs I am using earlier.

Comment

• reboot
                    Digital Video Expert
                    Digital Video Expert
                    • Apr 2004

OK, let's say for arguement, the video is 2 hours long.
                    At dvd quality, that is going to take 2 dvdr's.
                    At SVCD quality, that is going to take 3 cdr's.
                    As an avi, uncompressed, that is going to take too many to count.
                    You're stuck with using SOME sort of compression.
                    If the number of cdr's is not an issue, go ahead and use raw data, providing you have the hard drive storage to hold the file and split it into pieces before burning. That's as close as you are going to get to the original quality.
                    If you do choose to compress, try Huffyuv codec. It's not a huge compression, but it is superb quality, and be a smaller filesize than raw.

Comment

• aeternitas
                      • Jun 2004

Reboot, do you understand the concept of compression, buddy? Be practical.

I myself find it sillywhen ANY movie not over 2.5 hours is spread over 2 CDs. Thats NOT what MPEG4 was made for. It was made for ease of use, NOT storage. You're GOING to get less than what you had in the first place.

THATS WHAT IT IS.

That doesnt matter too much now, becuase DVD media/drives are getting cheaper, but then again, I really dont want to have 50 DVDs of movies. I want it all on my computer, and 2 hours @ 1GB is NOT bad with two passess and raw audio.

Comment

• reboot
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Apr 2004

OK, question my sanity all you like.
                        Quality is not an issue, go for it

Comment

• gordongraham
                          • Jun 2004

Have you looked at 3ivx? I find those get very close to DVD quality and comes in at about 1.5gb for 2 to 2.5 hrs.

Comment

Working...