X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Subtitle Problem in VirtualDub

I posted a similar message about a week ago, as yet with no responses, and I've been tinkered since then, to no avail. I have a DVD of a Japanese language film with English subtitles that I wish to back up to XviD, actually a part of it, not the whole film. I use Decrypter to rip the chapters I want, then rip the English subtitles with SubRip, and convert them to SSA format with Subtitle Workshop. All the programs read the subtitles properly, and they show up as text in Subtitle Workshop before conversion. I can also read them with a text editor from the original SUB file. So, I know they are extant. But when I try to burn them onto the XviD AVI with VDub, they don't show up in the preview. I am using the Subtitler plugin with VDub, and load the SSA file, but nothing shows up in the preview. Anyone have any ideas what might be the problem? Much obliged for advice.
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Just a quick update in case anyone is following this thread. I had some limited success by creating a TXT file of the subtitles (a portion of which is included below), which loads automatically when I open the AVI in BSPlayer. I was surprised, because no other formats worked this way (SSA, SUB, SRT), and the format of the TXT file is stripped down: no header, just the number of the title, a time line, and the dialog. The other formats have what appears to be a lot of other information, such as headers. So, at least I can watch the film now with subtitles. However, I am still unable to get VirtualDub's plugins to burn these subtitles, in any format, onto the AVI file. Anyone have a clue why that might be?

The TXT file begins with 1 and each subtitle is numbered, like this:

00:06:30,000 --> 00:06:32,160
    People are apt to forget...

00:06:33,000 --> 00:06:35,360
    ...even a dreadful event like that...

00:06:36,000 --> 00:06:37,840
    ...as the years pass by.

00:06:39,000 --> 00:06:41,000
    Can we leave it like that?

Other than the above, there are no headers, footers or other information in the TXT, and it loads into BSPlayer with the AVI.

Comment

• Qyd
      Digital Video Technician
      Digital Video Technician
      • Oct 2002

that looks like an subrip .str file.

you then use subtitle workshop to convert to ssa?

in virtualdub, when you choose the subtitler filter and load the ssa file don't you get a preview window with the subtitles?

do you re-encode the video? of course that's a must for permanent subtitles.

i've don this a lot of times, with no problems whatsoever.

is the subtitler plug-in located in the plug-in folder of your virtualdub folder? (that grants easy access)

yes, the ssa format has a lot of extra information in the header, regarding text formating.

you could skip all the 'in video frame sub burning' by just installing vobsub and having the same filename for the video and subs.

Comment

• megamachine
        Video Fiddler
        • Mar 2003

Thanks for replying. I arrived at that TXT by experimenting with a variety of programs, like SubRip and SubtitleWorkshop. But the SRT and SUB files had a lot of other (extraneous?) stuff in them, looking something a sort of code. Anyway, when I load any of these into VirtualDub with either the Subtitler or VobSub plugins, the subtitles do not show up in the preview window. Just to be sure, I re-encoded, and the subtitles were not there. I have done this several times myself, and never had a problem, but for some reason this one was giving me trouble. Could it have something to do with closed captions? SubRip gives me a message when I load the VOB file that it detects closed captions. I have all the plugins in the right place, and even tried doing this with various versions of VirtualDub, to no avail. For now, the film plays with BSPlayer, which reads the TXT file (with the same name as the film) when I load the AVI. I wonder, is there a way to convert this TXT to something that the Subtitler or VobSub plugins can read? The reason I need to burn the subtitles is because I want to use this short clip as a teaching example with students, and they may not have the capability or software to play the separate subtitles.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To megamachine

Although it's been quite some time since I last did a DVD to .AVI conversion, if I remember correctly the following should solve your problem:

1) Rip the ENTIRE DVD (in "File" mode) with DVD Decrypter
          2) Use FlaskMPEG to convert to .AVI - including selecting the desired subtitle stream, which will become a PERMANENT part of the .AVI video

Comment

• megamachine
            Video Fiddler
            • Mar 2003

Well, guess what? I loaded the TXT file into SubtitleWorkshop and converted into SSA, and now VDub reads it with the Subtitler plugin, so I have my burned titles, finally! I think the problem was the original SRT file had some text in it that was confusing the plugin, because it did not look like the TXT file I pasted above. It had a lot more lines in it. Maybe SubRip didn't read them properly, or maybe it was something to do with closed captioning, but with the stripped down TXT file converted to SSA, I have my solution.

Comment

• Qyd
              Digital Video Technician
              Digital Video Technician
              • Oct 2002

the subtitler plug-in can only use ssa (sub station alpha) subtitles (at least that was the case 6 months ago, when i last updated it). There might be a sort of installation for ssa support (SSAInstall.exe).

I never used the vobsub addon for virtuladub, so can't tell.

Comment

• Qyd
                Digital Video Technician
                Digital Video Technician
                • Oct 2002

oops, simultaneous post.

glad you solved the problem

just read more about it, and it looks like the development for ssa is suspended, or migrated inside subtitle workshop.

Comment

• megamachine
                  Video Fiddler
                  • Mar 2003

Thanks setarip, I'll give that a try, too. There has to be an easier way than what I ended up using. I really appreciate the replies.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"Thanks setarip"

As always, my pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Qyd
                      Digital Video Technician
                      Digital Video Technician
                      • Oct 2002

Re: To megamachine

Originally posted by setarip

1) Rip the ENTIRE DVD (in "File" mode) with DVD Decrypter
                      2) Use FlaskMPEG to convert to .AVI - including selecting the desired subtitle stream, which will become a PERMANENT part of the .AVI video
                      If you are going to use this approach, take care at 'cropping', some subtitles (when there's 2 or 3 lines of it) may wind up outside the actual video frame (when it's 16:9), so make sure you don't crop those.

Comment

• megamachine
                        Video Fiddler
                        • Mar 2003

Thanks for the tip, Qyd. I'll take care when I try that approach.

Comment

Working...