Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ginn1888
    • Jul 2004

Xvid movie burning problem, audio synch

I downloaded a few video files, which are in xvid format. The video files play fine in media player, but when i go to burn them onto a dvd, there is a delay of a couple of seconds between the audio and the pictures, with the audio coming in first. I've no idea why this is. I can't understand why it would play fine in media player, but not when you write it on to a dvd. If there is anyone who could help me at all, i would be very greatful.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"The video files play fine in media player, but when i go to burn them onto a dvd, there is a delay of a couple of seconds between the audio and the pictures, with the audio coming in first."

Are you, IN ANY WAY, converting the video and/or audio before burning to DVD?

Comment

• ginn1888
      • Jul 2004

Yeah, i use Ulead DVD Movie Factory 2 and that automatically converts it into mpeg i think, then burns it onto a disk. I have used Movie Factory before to burn AVI files which are not Xvid compressed and they turn out fine. I also tried using Winavi to convert it to dvd and the same thing happens. I've no idea what to do.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (XviD-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• ginn1888
          • Jul 2004

I tried using TMPGEnc, but when i convert it to mpeg format there is no sound in the file. Am I just an idiot and not doing it right or is there something else the problem.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3).

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items.. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
            Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save the .AVI with a new filename

Comment

• ginn1888
              • Jul 2004

I did what you said. I've attached a screen cap of the file information. When I load the file into VirtualDub(Mod), they both say 'VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source .AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatibility. This may introduce up to 5864 ms of skew from the video stream.' It asked if that was acceptable, i said no. I then followed your instructions, the saved .AVI file plays, but the audio is still out of synch for the first 1/4 of the video then the audio just disappears completely. Cheerz for all your help so far, i wouldn't have a clue what to do.
              Attached Files

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"It asked if that was acceptable, i said no"

Click yes (or OK) and follow setarip's instructions again. Also, you may find the following link helpful:

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Please post the VirtualDubMOD "File Information" of the NEWLY created .AVI...
                  Last edited by setarip; 7 Jul 2004, 03:52 AM.

Comment

• ginn1888
                    • Jul 2004

Here is the information for the changed AVI. I also went to the site that ormonde said and used Avi Info 1.2 to synch the audio in with the video correctly. I can get part of the file in synch properly, but the rest of the video is still out of synch. I then try to fix the other parts, but then the rest of the video, again is out of synch.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ginn1888
                      • Jul 2004

sorry used VirtualDub instead of VirtualDubMod to get the file information. Don't know if it makes a difference, but i'll put it up anyway.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

1) Are you saying that, while the ORIGINAL XviD-compressed .AVI was properly synched, the newly created .AVI with .WAV audio is out of synch?

2) If so,

A) If the difference between audio and video is constant throughout the video:

Load the file into VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod, or NanDub.
                        Set BOTH "Video"(VirtualDub, VirtualDubMod and NanDub) and "Audio" (VirtualDub and NanDub - VirtualDubMOD>"Streams>"Stream list") to "Direct Stream Copy".
                        From the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Interleaving" (For VirtualDubMOD, rightclick on the listed audiostream and then select "Interleaving")
                        Under "Audio skew correction", set an appropriate number of milleseconds (positive or negative) in the box labelled "Delay audio track by"
                        Save with a new filename

B) If the difference increases as the movie plays:

From under the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Framerate" - and select "Change so video and audio durations match"

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• ginn1888
                          • Jul 2004

I did what you said and it actually works. I can now convert the AVI's to mpeg without any problems. Thanx for spending the time to help me with my problem, i really appreciate it.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

"Thanx for spending the time to help me with my problem, i really appreciate it."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...