PowerVCR's MPEG2s -> Anything: I've had it!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zlorfik
    • Feb 2002

PowerVCR's MPEG2s -> Anything: I've had it!

It seems like I've tried everything short of learning plugins. Surely that can't be required, and I don't think it would yield anything better. I've tried most of the suggestions I could find on here with no luck.

First, the MPEG2 plays file through Windows Media Player.

I'm trying to convert a MPEG2 file generated by PowerVCR into a DIVX. The video is fine, but I can't get the audio to work. If I try to convert both audio/video directly using any tools (FlaskMPG for example), I get choppy sound, with small gaps every 5 or so seconds.

The only conversion that gives me good sound is DVD2AVI. Unforntunatly, it chops off the first few seconds and even notes that in it's file name, xxxx - 1TO 10 MS DELAY.MPA. I see nothing in the options why it does this or how to turn it off.

Anyway, it's an MPA file, which nothing I have reads, but it plays fine with Windows Media Player. No skips or gaps. I've read that renaming it to MP3 will work fine, since MPA is a subset of MP3. Both the target and source MP3's are 44khz, so there's no issue of a 48Khz sound file not being able to play on my sound card.

Now I try to do the combination of the DVD2AVI's video and the MP3 in NanoDub. Supposedly, you can specify the MP3 as audio input. So I did that using the audio option (VBR) MP3. I didn't use anything in the "Secondary Stream" option.

When I make the AVI and play itm it has no sound. Other Divx AVIs play ok there.

ACK!!!!!!

So, what I *REALLY* need out of this is a utility that takes audio out of a PowerVCR MPEG2 correctly (Either as a WAV or MP3), and another that can combine MP3/WAV/ AVI into a DIVX.

Please... I beg anyone...

Thanks in advance
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I believe you'll be able to resolve your dilemma by using TMPGEnc as follows:

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple DeMultiplex

Load your MPEG2 file. Press the "Run" radio button to automatically save your video and audio streams as separate video (.M2V) and audio files (either .MP2 or .MPA).

Close TMPGEnc (as a precautionary measure).

Start TMPGEnc.

On the main screen, press the "Settings" radio button (If it is 'greyed out", press the "Load" radio button and select "Unlock.mcf").

Select the "System" tab and select "MPEG1-Automatic" (Yes, "MPEG1")

Select the "Advanced" tab. Set the resolution to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set "Video Arrange method" to "Center (Custom size)" and enter the resolution of the original MPEG2

Select the "Video" tab. Set the "Size" to the same figures you entered under the "Advanced" tab.

Set the "Aspect ratio" to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set the framerate to 23.976,24,25 (PAL), or 29.970 fps

Click on OK to get back to the main screen

Enter a new filename in the "Output" box

Click on the "Start" radio button

Since this will be the first attempt at this conversion, I STRONGLY suggest that after 3-5 minutes, you click on the "Stop" radio button and then answer "Yes" to "Abort now?". Minimize (DON'T exit) TMPGEnc. Doubleclick on the newly created short MPEG1 version of your video. It should automatically start running under the Windows Media Player. If you notice a plethora of horizontal lines "jutting out" to the left and/or right (that weren't in your original video, do as follows:

Maximize TMPGEnc, click on the "Settings" radio button, and select the "Advanced" tab.

Put a checkmark in the box to the left of "Deinterlace"

Doubleclick on the word "Deinterlace".

Click on the down arrow to the right of the "Method" box and select the deinterlacing method you wish to apply (I prefer "Double (field adaptation)).

Make certain that there is a checkmark in the box to the left of "Enable filter". Click on OK (This will return you to the "Advanced" tab). Click on OK (This will return you to the main screen).

Click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file. Likewise, if you didn't observe the horizontal lines in your 3-5 minute test, then simply click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file.

This will create an MPEG1 file which should be readily loadable into VirtualDub for conversion to a DivX-compressed (or other) .AVI video with acceptable audio format of your choosing. If you prefer, you could actually use TMPGEnc once again to perform THIS conversion as well, but I'll leave it to you to inquire, if you'd prefer that method.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Last edited by setarip; 24 Feb 2002, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• Zlorfik
      • Feb 2002

Thanks

Thanks for that wonderfully descriptive answer. I did find that RazorLAME also will output the MP2 correctly to a WAV, but your method sounds more straightforward.

I'll definatly come back with any siccess story.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Yeh, that is the correct way setarip, I would have done the something if I had the same problem, nice work!

Techno

Comment

• Zlorfik
          • Feb 2002

Due to RazorLAME, my main problem was solved. Here's what I did (unfortunatly long):

Record in MPG2 3xx by 4xx with PowerVCR. This results in a vertically stretched picture on Media Player.

Used TMPGenc to split the mp2 audio and mpv video.

Used RazorLAME to decode MP2 to WAV

Used DVD2AVI to convert MPV to Divx AVI.

Used NanoDub to merge WAV audio compressed to MP3 with Divx AVI.

So, 5 utiliies later, I have a Divx with sound, although it's stretched vetically still. I'm sure that's wont be too big of a problem to fix though along the way.

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Zlorfik

Used DVD2AVI to convert MPV to Divx AVI.
            Instead of converting with DVD2AVI you should try createing a d2v project with DVD2AVI and then load it in GordianKnot, that will help you figure out the correct aspect ratio. And could simplify your entire process quite a bit.

Check out the guides and use the relevant bits.
            Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
            http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...