X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Grubby
    • Oct 2004

Problem with ac3 sound in tmpgenc

Hi all!

I dont know if this is exactly in the right place, so please forgive me if it isnt

This is my problem:

I'm trying to convert avi to dvd using a guide I saw in a magazine. I started of with 2 avi segments with mp3 audio. I've joined the segments, extracted the audio and converted the audio to ac3 using besweet. I now have a full avi movie, and an ac3 stream. The guide says that I should now load the avi and the ac3 in tmpgenc plus, to convert em to mpg. This is where it goes wrong: when I load the ac3 file in tmpgenc plus (version 2.5), I get an error saying:

file: "xxxxxx.ac3" can not open, or unsupported.

I cant imagine anything is wrong with the ac3 stream. The initial wave file worked well, and the encoding to ac3 didnt give any problems. I cant open the ac3 file to listen to it, but thats normal, right?

can anyone tell me I am doing wrong, and give me some help om how to fix it??

Any help is appreaciated!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"give me some help om how to fix it??"

Most DVD authoring programs are very "picky" about requiring standard/proper .AC3 headers. Download and use "AC3FIX"...

"I cant open the ac3 file to listen to it, but thats normal, right?"

That would be normal ONLY if you don't have a separate .AC3 codec or filter installed AND don't have a software DVD player installed...

Comment

• Grubby
      • Oct 2004

Thanx for the advice, but it didnt work. I ran ac3fix (from a dosprompt, couldnt get it to work by doubleclicking) Ac3fix checked the file and told me there were no bad frames. I tried the ac3fix output file, but it still didnt work

I've now downloaded an ac3 decoder and ac3 filter, and I can play the sound now with media player, works perfectly. Still cant load it in tmpgenc though.

The extension ac3 is accepted though: Like I said, I extracted a wave file from the avi, and I made ac3 out of it. To do this, I had to rename the wave file to ac3, load it in besweet, and convert it. I tried that wave file renamed to ac3, and tmpgenc accepted it. Cant use that file to make mpg though, wav is not accepted, right?

Some more help anyone?
      Last edited by Grubby; 4 Oct 2004, 08:13 PM.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to one greater than the highest priority of listed items. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

2) "wav is not accepted, right?"

Wrong. ".WAV" audiostreams are Uncompressed PCM Stereo - and are readily accepted by TMPGEnc...

Comment

Working...