Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • synchron
    • Nov 2001

CCE vs. Tmpgenc

I've recently "acquired" CCE with versions 2.3, 2.50 and 2.62. Somebody mentioned to stay away from 2.62 so I installed the 2.50 version. I definitely see a speed improvement with CCE but since I'm trying to go from Divx to VCD MPEG-1 format, it appears that CCE doesn't change the resoulution to 352X240 like tmpgenc does. I've tried using the resize filter in VD but it seems to take a long time since you have to use full processing video mode. I've attempted to use the frame serving of VD with CCE and a VDR but CCE keeps crashing when I try to do this. (in Win2000). So this leads me to some questions:

a) Is there speed/quality advantages using the $3800 CCE encoder vs. the free Tmpgenc for going from Divx to VCD knowing that you have to first resize the entire movie first in VirtualDub?? Is there another AVI tool that can resize faster?? Why doesn't CCE resize as an option for som much money??

b) Which is the best version of CCE to use and are the 2.62 problems just myths??

c) Should I just stick with Tmpgenc for MPEG-1? I'm not a quality freak and am satisfied with Tmpenc's overall results for VCD formate but lately I get synch problems and would like to try CCE if it improves on that.

TIA,

Synchron.
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Yes, probably TMPGEnc would be the better choice. It has a proven track-record for creating vcd's, SVCD's, and mpeg 1. The quality is great. If you wish to attain higher quality during mpeg 1 conversion simply increase the bit rate, however the resulting file will not be able to be played on a vcd complaint dvd player (I guess you would have created an xvcd of sorts). TMPGEnc is easy to use and very user friendly. Other software such as NERO and Easy CD creator 5 also enable creation of vcd's.

Your audio synch problems may originate from your avi. Also check your avi audio format. Generally, the latest version of TMPGEnc is the best.

Comment

Working...