Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ToonFan2002
    • Mar 2002

mpg -> avi - no sound?

Hi guys, hope you can help me. I just got these cool futurama-eps on cd, but they're all like 220 mb. So, I decided to encode them into an avi file using divX. The problem is, that I can`t find a tool that does both convert the video-stream and the audio stream. Is there no such tool or do I have to use 2 different tools and then somehow "merge" the two streams ( audio & video ) into one avi-file? [Even though I've got no clue how I could do this )
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If the format is MPEG1, VirtualDub will gladly accept the file for input and convert to .AVI format (DivX-compressed .AVI, if you have a DivX codec installed on your system).

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• ToonFan2002
      • Mar 2002

hmm...still doesn`t work

First of all thank you for replying that fast to my post. See, it`s people like you that make others lives much easier by answering newbie-questions like mine is ( that´s what I assume )
      I´ve been checking out that VirtualDub prog you recommended, it`s really cool, and it works fine - I get avi files with sound! BUT, they turn out to be larger than the original ones. Smart as I am though, I figured out why, but I don`t know what to do - the sound ain`t compressed. When I take a look at the avi-file´s preferences, this is what it says in the audio line:

PCM,44.100 Hz; 16 Bit; Stereo

As far as I know, it`s the format normal cd`s are encoded with, right? So I was trying to fix that problem by trying to compress the audio. Now, the problem is that the menu entry Compression under Compression in the VirtualDub taskbar is unaviable, it`s gray shaded. So I can`t compress the audio by no means, and I don`t know why. What piece of advice can you give me now ( I`m waiting for it desperately!! =)

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Select Full Mode Processing under the Audio tab and go into the compression setting. There you will find a selection of audio codec, MP3 being possibly one of them and one you will be using. If you can't find it, install Radium MP3 codec and you should be able to find it. Good luck!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"First of all thank you for replying that fast to my post."

My pleasure ;>}

Enchanter (despite that godawful animated gif) is right on the money with the information regarding accessing the audio processes available under VirtualDub.

Looking forward to your continued success ;>}
          Last edited by setarip; 3 Mar 2002, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

despite that godawful animated gif
            Not everyone likes anime, I know, especially the cute-looking ones.

If you like, Setarip, I can change it with something else that can make you flee from your screen.

p.s. That's a joke

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

Does she do windows, as well?

Comment

• ToonFan2002
                • Mar 2002

Oh my god it finally works!!!

Well, what else can I say besides
                No, seriously, it works. It was this one small point both of you mentioned, thank you so much for that hint. I already encoded all of my futurama eps, they`re all around 70 mb and the audio is encoded with the radium mp3-codec. This is so hellacool Thanx again. CU

P.S FUTURAMA KICKS ASS!!

Comment

• Batman
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Jan 2002

Yes. Futurama "does kick ass".

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

I'm sure the "little washerwoman" will agree that it's been our pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Batman
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2002

"little washerwoman" can't wash "windows" because of child labor laws Enchanter is right not everyone likes anime, including me.

Comment

• Enchanter
                        Old member
                        • Feb 2002

Too bad the animefansubber are amongst the best encoders out there, be it with SBC or DivX4. You just can't believe those episodes look so fantastic at such small sizes.

By the way, the character came from the "To Heart" series. Just to let you know her better.

Comment

Working...