• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ander
    JustAnotherDude
    • Sep 2002

DivX bitrate for DVD+R?

Hi,

I just bought a DVD-writer (whee!). I still plan to use DivX for backups, since a standard DVD is usually too big for a recordable DVD. (Yes, I know there are things like DVD Shrink, but I don't imagine that one-pass DVD compression can compare with a high-bitrate two-pass DivX encode... Besides, why use a whole DVD to store just one movie? :?)

My question is: Since I no longer have to worry about fitting DivX files onto one or two CD-R's, what encoding bitrate should I use? 2000? 3000? Is there a maximum---or a point beyond which the files may be bigger, but you'd never notice the difference in video quality? Thanks for your advice.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

The 1400MB mark should be high enough for good quality compression. That will allow you to store about 3 movies per (single-layer) discs.

Still, I would personally back-up a DVD movie into another DVD (without any compression to DivX/XviD). The slight quality loss is worth the convenience of playing it straight in DVD players.

Regards.

Comment

• Ander
      JustAnotherDude
      • Sep 2002

Enchanter: Thanks for your response. 1400 makes sense to me. (I didn't mention that I had a DivX-compatible player, tho.)

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

• Ander
          JustAnotherDude
          • Sep 2002

(I have nothing more to say here. However, I just got an email notification of the last "You're welcome" message, and felt compelled to post something. I mean, why waste all that technology??)

Comment

Working...