Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tarrant
    • Jan 2002

Audio in Divx help needed!

I read thru the guide on how to compress a .avi file into DIVX format using Virtual Dub. Everything went great except for the sound. I'd like to compress it into mp3 format but it's not working for some reason. In the audio section where you choose the compression, mp3 is on the list but it does not offer any settings on the right pane when it's selected. Going ahead with the conversion yields a .avi file that is in Divx format but has PCM wave as the sound.

This may be because I'm running WinXP Pro but I'm not sure. I tried the radium codec but it gave me errors when I started to convert. Anyone has any ideas? Thx!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Put a checkmark in the box labelled "Show all formats"...

Comment

• Tarrant
      • Jan 2002

I actually tried that already and it still didn't offer any selections from which to choose. When I put the radium codec in, it offered some bitrates to choose from but when I chose one then started the compression process, I got an error message that said something like "the chosen task cannot be performed" or something similar. Very weird...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I got an error message that said something like "the chosen task cannot be performed" or something similar."

If you would post the EXACT phrase, it might be beneficial...

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

You can also extract the audio using Virtualdub and encode it into MP3 using a separate encoder. Using Virtualdub again, the audio is interleaved with the audio.

Comment

• Tarrant
            • Jan 2002

Thx for the responses guys.

Setarip - I actually uninstalled the radium codec since I wasn't having any luck. I don't know if it's a compatibility issue with XP but the latest radium version was quite old.

Enchanter - I thought of that too. Pulling the audio out and encoding it to an mp3 is simple enough. I just can't figure out how to merge it back in with the video using VDub. Would you terribly mind giving me a step-by-step on how that's done? Thx!

Comment

• Echo147
              • Nov 2001

Something to note: Source audio is sometimes 48,000hz - you may have chosen 44,100hz in the bitrate choices. Conversion and compression dialogs must match EXACT or it will give an error.

Comment

• Enchanter
                Old member
                • Feb 2002

Here's a nice trick.
                1. Load your video (the finished and encoded and final video, but still 'soundless' of course) into nandub.
                2. Load your MP3 file using nandub. Don't worry about the variable name. nandub does not seem to ever mind having a contant bitrate MP3 loaded.
                3. Check Direct Stream Copy under both Video and Audio tab.
                4. Save as avi and give a name to the new file.

Good luck.

Comment

• Echo147
                  • Nov 2001

That works? I thought movies had to be layer 3 encoded wav - or does it convert it on the fly from mp3 to wav? I'm sure they're very similar formats.

Comment

• Enchanter
                    Old member
                    • Feb 2002

Nandub accepts MP3 files. It works without a glitch for my systems and I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work for others too.

Comment

• Tarrant
                      • Jan 2002

Okay, that sounds good. I'll give it a try this afternoon when I get home. BTW, I assume that "nandub" is virtual dub or is it a separate program you're talking about?

Thx for the help so far guys. I'm sure you have better things to do than help out a newbie messing around with encoding/compressing video...thx again!

Comment

• techno
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Nov 2001

Dunno if u done it, Download and install the Radium MP3 codec.

ASUS and P3 ARE EXCELLENT COMBINATION!!!

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
                          Old member
                          • Feb 2002

I assume that "nandub" is virtual dub or is it a separate program you're talking about?
                          Nandub is basically a hacked (I call it enchanced) version of Virtualdub. If you're already familiar with Virtualdub, you shouldn't be lost in using Nandub. The only major difference is in the video encoding options.

Comment

Working...