• Show
Clear All
  • Erci
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    Digital Video Enthusiast
    • Nov 2001

Svcd - Divx;-)

Hi!

I would like to convert an svcd that I have into divx but I don't know how I should do that.
    When I try to open only the mpeg2 file in nandub or virtualdub I get a message that says MPEG import filterack synchronization error.
    What should I do to be able to do this?

//Erci
    DVD Backup Guide
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Ensure you have the mpeg 2 codec installed. You can find the codec at vcdhelp.com or possibly divx-digest.com To easily determine if you have the mpeg 2 codec, see if you can properly play your video in windows media player. If both video and audio are functional then you do have the codec.

If your problems are not resolved by downloading the mpeg 2 codec try TMPGEnc, ascertain that the output file is set to "avi". You will find obscure, small buttons that allow you to select the compression---select the codec of your choice. Otherwise, you will end up with an 8-12 GB possibly larger uncompressed avi.

Comment

• umitking
      • Jan 2002

Try FlaskMpeg!it must open mpeg2 file!

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

Just for your information (and Batman's), VirtualDub will only accept .AVI and MPEG1 files as input - no matter what filters you have installed...

Comment

• Erci
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Nov 2001

i almost guessed that I couldn't open an mpeg2 file in virtualdub but I still want to encode it on a good way into divx and what is the best way? I have got problems with TMPGEnc before and the problem is that when I convert a divx to VCD the video go to fast and to slow: I wrote about this in another forum in hear and asked about but I didn't get any answer.

//Erci
          DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

Yes, Setarip is correct. Virtualdub is incapbable of converting mpeg2 files. I would suggest you try Flaskmpeg (there are many versions you may have to experiment). Does the movie play properly?

Comment

• Erci
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Nov 2001

Yes the movie played correct but only when I opened it in windvd, I couldn't open it in media player or global divx.
              I have found a guide in doom9.org so I hope it shouldn't be any problems with this from now on.
              Thx anyway

//Erci
              DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Erci
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                Digital Video Enthusiast
                • Nov 2001

There's still a problem. The guide say that I should convert the mpeg to a d2v project. But dvd2avi thinks that the file os 45 minutes instead of 79 minutes. What can the problem be?

//Erci
                DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

That's right, VD and nandub does not accept MPEG2 files.

The reason for that length issue (time) is because of compression. It gets confused, just like VIDOMI!

Techno

Comment

• Batman
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2002

Setarip posted a method for splitting svcd files (this may help alleviate your time issue) using TMPGEnc. However, it is relatively complex you might have to scour this forum for some time. Or maybe Setarip will re-post it.

Comment

• techno
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2001

excuse me?

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

SVCD to .AVI

After you've accomplished what I've listed below, you will have converted your SVCD to an MPEG1 file, which can then be loaded into VirtualDub for converiosn to .AVI:SVCD to MPEG1

Run TMPGEnc as follows:

File>>MPEGTools>>Simple DeMultiplex

Load your SVCD file. Press the "Run" radio button to automatically save your video and audio streams as separate video (.M2V) and audio files (either .MP2 or .MPA).

Close TMPGEnc (as a precautionary measure).

Start TMPGEnc.

On the main screen, press the "Settings" radio button (If it is 'greyed out", press the "Load" radio button and select "Unlock.mcf").

Select the "System" tab and select "MPEG1"

Select the "Advanced" tab. Set the resolution to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set "Video Arrange method" to "Center (Custom size)" and enter the resolution of the original MPEG2

Select the "Video" tab. Set the "Size" to the same figures you entered under the "Advanced" tab.

Set the "Aspect ratio" to "4:3 525 line (NTSC)" (or the PAL equivalent, if appropriate for your locale)

Set the framerate to 23.976,24,25 (PAL), or 29.970 fps

Click on OK to get back to the main screen

Enter a new filename in the "Output" box

Click on the "Start" radio button

Since this will be the first attempt at this conversion, I STRONGLY suggest that after 3-5 minutes, you click on the "Stop" radio button and then answer "Yes" to "Abort now?". Minimize (DON'T exit) TMPGEnc. Doubleclick on the newly created short MPEG1 version of your video. It should automatically start running under the Windows Media Player. If you notice a plethora of horizontal lines "jutting out" to the left and/or right (that weren't in your original video, do as follows:

Maximize TMPGEnc, click on the "Settings" radio button, and select the "Advanced" tab.

Put a checkmark in the box to the left of "Deinterlace"

Doubleclick on the word "Deinterlace".

Click on the down arrow to the right of the "Method" box and select the deinterlacing method you wish to apply (I prefer "Double (field adaptation)).

Make certain that there is a checkmark in the box to the left of "Enable filter". Click on OK (This will return you to the "Advanced" tab). Click on OK (This will return you to the main screen).

Click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file. Likewise, if you didn't observe the horizontal lines in your 3-5 minute test, then simply click on the "Start" radio button and save the entire file.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Erci
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Nov 2001

I'll try it out... I just hope I don't get the same problem that I had before when encoding divx 2 vcd with TMPG. Then the movie started to go faster and slower from time to time.

/Erci
                          DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Erci
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            Digital Video Enthusiast
                            • Nov 2001

It finished immediatly and I got a file that was 58k big=(
                            I followed your instructions and still it did this... why??

//Erci
                            DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Erci
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              • Nov 2001

One more thing I forgat to ask is how I can see the aspect ratio of my original file... I have to open it in windvd so I can't see it..

//Erci
                              DVD Backup Guide

Comment

Working...