Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robbsafc
    • Apr 2005

Avi to Mpeg2 Problems?

Hi, I am trying to convert an Avi file to Mpeg2. Which ever software I use, whether it is Nero 6, dvdsanta or avimpeg converter my PC freezes. I want to be able to transfer avi files to dvd to watch on my dvd player. I tried tech support at Nero, all I got was uninstall the software and reinstall it. That did not work. I did have an aspi problem at one point but have rectified that. I have tried downloading various codecs etc but nothing seems to work. The PC freezes after about 15-20 minutes of transcoding forcing me to reset the PC to be able to use it again.

The spec of my machine in case this has any bearing on the problem is:

Abit NF7-S V2.0, AMD Athlon 2700, Windows Xp Pro with Service Pack 2, 512mb Corsair PC3200 ram, Nero 6(latest version), Western Digital Hard drives 80gig and 200gig at 7200rpm 8meg cache, Windows Media Player 10.

Many thanks in advacne any help.

Rob.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

A) Did you create the .AVI?

B) Have you successfully played the original .AVI, from start to finish?

C) 1) Load the original .AVI video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

• robbsafc
      • Apr 2005

Thanks for the help.

Right here is the info you needed, although I have had problems with every avi file I've tried in the past. The same thing every time it just freezes.

Video Stream:
      Frame Size, fps 576x432, 29.970fps (33367micro s)
      Length, 155299 frames(1:26:21.81)
      Decompressor, DivX 5.2.1 Codec
      Number of key frames, 4544
      Min/Avg/Max/Total Key frame size, 3326/15988/46388 (70947k)
      Min/Avg/Max/Total Delta Frame Size, 104/3796/40901 (558987k)
      Data Rate, 996kbps (0.57% overhead)

Audio Stream,:
      Sampling Rate: 48000Hz
      Channels: 2 (Stereo)
      Sample Precision: N/A
      Compression: Fraunhofer IIs MPEG Layer -3 Codec
      Layout: 417 Chunks (0.08s preloaded)
      Length: 78648240 samples(1:26:21.38)
      Min/Avg/Max/Total frame size: 240/372/1152 (152k)
      Data Rate: 121kbps (6.05% overhead)

Hope this gives you all the info you need.
      Many thanks
      for the help.

Rob.

Comment

• sfheath
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Sep 2003

Do you have a screen saver running?
        Are you overheating?
        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Once again:

A) Did you create the .AVI?

B) Have you successfully played the original .AVI, from start to finish?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

robbsafc

First convert the mp3 audio stream in the AVI (DivX) file to an uncompressed WAV file:

1 Open the AVI in "VirtualDubMod"

2. Go to "Video" and select "Direct Stream Copy"

3. Go to "Streams/Streams List" and right-click on the audio stream name and select "Full Processing Mode". Right-click it again select "Compression" and make sure it is set to "No Compression"

4. Go to "File" and select "Save as AVI" with a filename of your choice.

Then, follow this procedure:

1. Convert the AVI (DivX or Xvid)/mpeg file(s) to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file(s) using "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc Plus". Use the DVD template (NTSC or PAL) form the "Project Wizard" to help you accomplish the task. If you have an mpeg file that is already DVD-compliant, then skip directly to step 2.

2. Then use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than "TMPGEnc") to author the newly created mpeg-2 into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB). As an alternative, you can use "DVDLab" to author as well.

3. If the combined filesize of the project exceeds 4.37 Gig, use "DVD Shrink" or similar transcoding program to compress.

4. Use "Nero" or similar burning program to burn onto a DVD (r, rw) disk

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To ormonde

Without having stated so (and suggesting those all-too-familair instructions -Where have I seen that verbiage before? ;>}), you are assuming (based on what?) that the audiostream is a Variable Bitrate ("VBR") .MP3 stream, as opposed to a Constant Bitrate .MP3 stream.

Even if this does prove to be the case, that wouldn't normally cause a/several conversion program(s) to freeze. More likely, they would simply generate error messages.
              Last edited by setarip; 12 Apr 2005, 04:27 AM.

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

setarip

While you are most certainly correct in stating: "that wouldn't normally cause a/several conversion program(s) to freeze.”, "robbsafc" pointed out in his/her initial post: "I want to be able to transfer avi files to dvd to watch on my dvd player." as the main objective he/she is attempting to achieve. I was merely offering (YOUR) methodology as something different to try.
                Last edited by ormonde; 12 Apr 2005, 05:09 AM.

Comment

• robbsafc
                  • Apr 2005

Watched it all now.

The video content is a tv programme I downloaded which I did not create. I have watched it all now on my pc monitor and it plays fine from start to finish. Rather than sit and watch it on my 17inch tft I rather wanted to watch it on my widescreen tv. The original file is NTSC which my tv and dvd player will handle.

By the way I do not run any screensavers, and my computer is not overheating.

Many thanks again everyone will try your suggestions and get back to you.

Rob.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

1) Load the .AVI file (DivX-compressed or otherwise) into the most recent version of either VirtualDub or VirtualDubMod

2) Set "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy"

3) Select "Check for errors"

4) Select "Mask bad frames"

5) Save with a new filename

Comment

• robbsafc
                      • Apr 2005

No joy yet

Just tried your suggestion setarip without any success. Just thinking is there any way it could be a hardware problen or conflict somewhere. Forgot to mention it in my original post but the graphics card is an ATI Radeon 9800. Have heard about problems with ATI cards but don't know if it's causing me problems?

Many thanks again.

Rob.

Comment

• sfheath
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Sep 2003

I can't say I've come across a graphic card causing the problem other than displaying.
                        Have you checked your DMA is on for all appropriate drives?
                        This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

"Just tried your suggestion setarip without any success."

Did doing so result in an indication that there WERE any bad frames?

Comment

• robbsafc
                            • Apr 2005

PC Froze again.

Again it started to go through the process and after about 20 minutes or so the pC completely froze. No signs of any bad errors though?

Thanks.

Rob.

Comment

• setarip
                              Retired
                              • Dec 2001

It's certainly sounding more and more like a hardware problem.

Try converting a different, comparably sized .AVI to MPEG - or try using VirtualDubMOD to check it for errors.

If your system doesn't freeze, then it would seem there's something about your first file that is problematic...

Comment

Working...