X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Noets
    • Mar 2002

De-interlacing

Hi all,

i'm wondering... When encoding from an interlaced source, does deinterlacing guarantee better quality or is this only in some cases. I've tried it a couple of times and end up with only minor difference in quality.

Is the divx5.0 pro deinterlacer any good?

I use xmpeg4.2a (wich has no deinterlacing)

Thx Noets
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

If you happen to be using thresold-based deinterlacers, make sure that you're using a value just enough to get rid of all interlacing artifacts. Too low a thresold often results in degradation of image quality (eg. blurring, reduced perception of resolution, etc.)

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

Yeh, it just depends on luck! Sometimes it does produce better quality (depending on the orignal source) and sometimes it doesn't!

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I missed something earlier...

How could you call an interlaced DivX file of good quality at all? It's very unnerving to see those combing effects poking its ugly face at you for most of the time (Okay, most action scenes).

You should apply a deinterlacer so that the combing effects are gone, but make sure you follow my suggestion earlier.

p.s. If your source is NTSC, try using Inverse Telecine. Interlace effects may completely go away or is minimised so much that you will need only a thresold of around 35-40 to remove residual combing effects.
        Last edited by Enchanter; 20 Mar 2002, 09:34 PM.

Comment

• techno
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Nov 2001

Woops! Sorry, I didn't think you were talking about the combing effect! Sorry! Yeh, USE THE DE-INTERLACER!!!

I was thinking of something else, sorry people!

Techno

Comment

Working...