X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jedimaster71472
    • May 2005

Newbie in need of help

Hi-

I have transferred a DVD from friends' computer to mine. It was originally a DVD, but on my computer it was an iso file. Using Google, I was able to extract an "AUDIO TS" and a "VIDEO TS" folder.
    Inside the VIDEO TS folder were files with the extension BUP, VOB and IFO in them. Googling brought me here to this forum where I learned that I could use WMP to play these- the question I have is the audio doesn't work. The AUDIO TS folder is empty.
    I don't do much of this, but I remember another DVD that had an empty AUDIO TS folder, but the audio worked. I don't have a DVD burner, just wanted to have my friends' video to watch on my computer. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong or if maybe the transfer went wrong somehow?
    Logic tells me that it shouldn't have an empty audio folder, but maybe I'm overlooking something.

-Thank you in advance.
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

hi jedimaster71472,

follow these steps:

1. download and install the latest (alpha) version of "ffdshow"

2. download the latest version of "media player classic" (version 6.4.8.4)

3. open the file "video_ts.ifo" in the video_ts folder with "media player classic"

4. enjoy your dvd
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

To jedimaster71472

Welcome to the Digital Video Forums of Digital Digest

"Logic tells me that it shouldn't have an empty audio folder"

Logical - but incorrect ;>}

The DVD standard dictates (though not always followed) that a DVD shall contain two folders/directories - "VIDEO_TS", that contains ALL of the files comrpising a VIDEO DVD and "AUDIO_TS", which will only contain files if the DVD is a true AUDIO DVD.

The files included in the "VIDEO_TS" folder are:

1) .VOBs - Video OBjects - All of the actual video and audio data

2) .IFOs - InFOrmation as to how the DVD player shall play the DVD (Otherwise known as "Navigation")

3) .BUPs - BackUP copy of .IFO

If you don't presently have a dedicated software DVD player, such as WinDVD or PowerDVD, inbstalled on your PC, you might want to download and install (freeware) "VLC"-VideoLAN Player...

Comment

• blutach
        Not a god of digital video
        • Oct 2004

Despite what setarip says, a DVD can quite happily simultaneously have audio files in the AUDIO_TS folder, although they will usually have nothing to do with the DVD-VIDEO. Maybe setarip's lost his specs

On a normal video, however, you will not see anything in that folder.

Nevertheless, don't try playing them on Windows Media Player - it's effing hopeless. As suggested by Anonymez, Media Player Classic will play them perfectly for you.

Regards
        Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
        [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

Again, as I said, ""VIDEO_TS", that contains ALL of the files comprising a VIDEO DVD and "AUDIO_TS", which will only contain files if the DVD is a true AUDIO DVD."...

Comment

• jedimaster71472
            • May 2005

Wow- that was fast! Thank you all so much- I'll let you know how I make out

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Thank you all so much"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...