X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Clint
    • Jul 2005

Play multiple DivX's from DVD media

Hi all,
    I'm in progress of buying a DVD player instead of using the computer and are wondering if you can burn lets say five 700mb episodes on a DVD disc and still be able to play them in a regular DivX enabled DVD player?
    Can the players out there find the separate episodes without a menu or is there some kind of browsing capacity built in the DivX enabled DVD players?
    Is there any nice application out there that could help me in constructing a small menu for those episodes, with a screenshot and some info attached?

Thanx!
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

yes you can add 5 or more 700 mb files to a dvd-5.

since you didn't get any other responses i'm pretty sure no, about the player being able to make it own menu's. etc

for this you might as well convert them all to dvd format, but if you can live without menus etc, you can fit a lot more on a standard disc.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

"Can the players out there find the separate episodes without a menu or is there some kind of browsing capacity built in the DivX enabled DVD players?"

The Philips DVP 642 automatically provides a basic menu for DVDs containing multiple .AVI files (DivX-compressed or XviD-compressed)...

Comment

• Clint
        • Jul 2005

Thanx for the replies, also did a visit at my local vendor with a homeburned DVD with some DivX's on it....worked on all of them but with some differences in browsingcapacity/layout.
        I was surprised how bad the quality was, even though I know quality cannot be as good as on a computer..hmm, this needs some thinking over.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
          Demigod of Digital Video
          • Nov 2004

i will assume the menu's setarip speaks of are the very basic menu's only....if not, enlighten us setarip please.ty
          "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
          Columbo moments...
          "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
          "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
          (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Aug 2003

the menu is basic. it gives the name of each file and you use the up/down arrow on the remote to move to the different files.

Comment

• Clint
              • Jul 2005

Yup, very basic indeed.
              But sufficient for just picking up those titles, even a couple of them seemed to have a decent structure starting at "root", to bad I didn't think of putting a couple of those titles in named folders, but from the look of it it seems that at least a few of them can handle a directory structure.
              That would mean that you can actually have all media on same DVD-r.., DivX, Mp3, Jpeg...and so on.
              Not bad at all, just the quality issue...
              Last edited by Clint; 9 Jul 2005, 01:23 AM.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Aug 2003

"just the quality issue..."

I have 2 philips dvp642's. They will play the quality only as good as the source/encode is. garbage in garbage out Try a regular dvd on the 642 and it will be good. If the avi (divx/xvid) is from a good source such as a dvd AND ENCODED PROPERLY it will be of outstanding quality.

Comment

• Clint
                  • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by tigerman8u
                  "just the quality issue..."

I have 2 philips dvp642's. They will play the quality only as good as the source/encode is. garbage in garbage out Try a regular dvd on the 642 and it will be good. If the avi (divx/xvid) is from a good source such as a dvd AND ENCODED PROPERLY it will be of outstanding quality.
                  Ok, guess I'll have to find a dvp642 for comparison then
                  The DivX's I had with me is of top quality, that I know.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"The DivX's I had with me is of top quality, that I know."

Actually, you don't know - until you've seen them played back via a DVD player-TV setup...

Comment

• tigerman8u
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Aug 2003

to many ppl think that if you have a video of full D1 resolution (720x480/576) it's gonna look better that a smaller resolution 1/2 D1 (352x480/576) or 1/4 D1 (352x240/288). Not necessarily so. If you take the same source even a good clean dvd rip and encode at full D1 resolution using an mpeg4 encoder and low bitrate you will be subject to introducing macroblocks and overall poor quality. Use the same bitrate and lower the resolution to say 1/4 D1 and the result will be sharper and better quality. This also applies to mpeg 1/2 encoding. To many ppl try to keep a high/full D1 resolution and lower the bitrate so it will fit on one cd. Don't work that way. You have to adjust the bitrate up to match higher resolutions. Bottom line given all factors the higher the resolution the more bitrate you have give to maintain the quality.

Comment

• Clint
                        • Jul 2005

Ok, thanx..I will have to grab another rip as well then as a comparison.

Comment

• techreactor
                          Banned
                          • Jul 2005

GNU Version try - http://weethet.nl/english/video_diko_avi2dvd.php

Paid - Use Mainconcept MPEG Encoder and then DVDlab

Both work well and can provide you with Menus etc, extensive options in DVDlab only.
                          <!-- / message -->

Comment

Working...