• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

first, try renaming the file to -- xfilesS07e11.avi
    see if it will open
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• shattersys
      • Oct 2005

nope still doesnt work, I chose DVD-->NTSC-->then hit next and tried choosing the video and audio file..does it have to be in mpeg format?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

"does it have to be in mpeg format?"
        no, that is the whole point of tmpgenc, to convert to mpeg.

ok, try this:

To change the priority of DirectShow, this is dont simply by clicking option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list.

if this doesn't work, then that file is bad
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• shattersys
          • Oct 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
          "does it have to be in mpeg format?"
          no, that is the whole point of tmpgenc, to convert to mpeg.

ok, try this:

To change the priority of DirectShow, this is dont simply by clicking option - environmental setting. Click the VFAPI plug-in tab. You will see DirectShow in the list usually with a priority of -1. Right click on the NAME (not the priority) and click higher priority until the priority is 2 and it is at the top of the list.

if this doesn't work, then that file is bad

ok i got it, what do I put for the rest of the settings in the wizard?
          Last edited by shattersys; 6 Oct 2005, 02:16 PM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

ok before i tell you that, i need to make sure of the file characteristics to make sure you have a perfect encode. right click the avi. (in windows) click properties, then summary tell me the fps and the audio info please
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• shattersys
              • Oct 2005

Frame rate: 23fps
              Audio: Duration: 43:53
              Bit Rate: 96Kbps
              Audio Format: MPEG Layer 3

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

excellent, if you have the right codecs on your system, and the file is good tmpgenc will give no problems.

ok,your first step was right, use the dvd template, "ntsc" selected, (at the bottom right of this screen, make sure you have CBR mpeg-layer II audio (mp2) selected.

browse, and load your file, it should also appear in the audio pane aswell--that's what you want. now at the very bottom of that screen where it says "content of video" select "film movie" leave the rest alone. click next

on this screen now click "other settings" , click the advanced tab, under "video arrange method" select "full screen keep aspect ratio 2", below this in the list "inverse telecine" should be checked--leave it like that.
                now click the video tab make sure the "frame rate" says 23.976 fps (29.97 internally, it will be greyed out) and the "encode mode" says "3.2 pulldown when playback. if it's all good, click ok at the bottom, now click next on the window you are left with.

finally, adjust the "average video bitrate" to whatever amount you wish. as you do this notice the blue bar at the bottom and it will indicate the amount of disc space used accordingly. for me, i'd use 19.5%, i can get 5 episodes like that on one dvd-5, and they turn out nice. the higher the percentage and bitrate, the better the quality. when done click next, save with a new file name! see how easy?

let me know how it turns out. if the file is of good quality, it should be an excellent encode
                Last edited by LT. Columbo; 6 Oct 2005, 02:39 PM.
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• shattersys
                  • Oct 2005

alright, thanks columbo, once it's done encoding, do I just drag the file into nero express for burning?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

no, you have to author it now with tmpgenc DVD author. you have it right? when your ready for that let me know...it's much easier than what you just did, and will take far less time. then it will be ready for burning.

p.s. after the encoding it is doing now is done, (and before you author it) play the file on the HD to make sure it looks good, and the audio is in sych etc.
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

• shattersys
                      • Oct 2005

alright, I am ready for authoring, yea I have tmpgenc author...also which codecs do I need for it to work properly?
                      Last edited by shattersys; 7 Oct 2005, 02:26 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                        Demigod of Digital Video
                        • Nov 2004

if you can can play mpegs ok, your set.

open dvd author, click "create new project", then click "add FILE". find your encoded file that you made with the other tmpgenc program, load it.

now at the very top of screen "create menu" here you can experiment and play to see what backround you want, layout, titles, fonts, text style etc. check it. out. also to the right in that screen is "first play action" it has a drop down selection. what it is explains itself. when your happy here at the top go to "output" and check "create dvd folder" under "output settings", then click "begin output". that's really all you have to do. also for other explanations about the features/settings of this program go to "options" and help section. lots of info there.

finally when it's done, you will have a folder likely called "volume1" you can name it to whatever you want. and i'll show you how to view it with media player classic, (i hope you still have it). if the first time round, you don't like the menu or whatever, you can always delete the folder and author again untill you are happy with it, a small project like that will take anywhere from 5-20 min depending on your pc, in time you will figure out all the features
                        Columbo moments...

Comment

• shattersys
                          • Oct 2005

Ok so in the volume 1 folder there should be a audio_ts and video_ts folder right? When I burn to disk do I just drag it to burn template in nero?

EDIT: Im getting the same error as before when I try to add the video and audio file in the dvd template in TMPGenc
                          Last edited by shattersys; 7 Oct 2005, 11:05 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                            Demigod of Digital Video
                            • Nov 2004

"Ok so in the volume 1 folder there should be a audio_ts and video_ts folder right?"

right. you don't need the audio one. use the video ts folder in nero for burning.

i don't get this

"EDIT: Im getting the same error as before when I try to add the video and audio file in the dvd template in TMPGenc "

your done already, burn the video ts folder.
                            Columbo moments...

Comment

• shattersys
                              • Oct 2005

im trying to transfer another avi file to mpeg and its giving me the same error

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                                Demigod of Digital Video
                                • Nov 2004

how did the first file turn out? did you burn it, what?

"im trying to transfer another avi file to mpeg and its giving me the same error"

do you still have the directshow raised? state the error message exactly plz
                                Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...