Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DS2K
    • Apr 2002

Missing Codec!!

Ok I just reinstall windows and I lost a namber of audio codecs.

When i got into Virtual Dub (1.4.9)

Under video I got Divx Codec 4.12
    Is this the latest if not where do I get it??

But under audio I don't have anything.

No Divx Audio
    No MEG Layer III

What Codec do I need and where to I get it??

Thank you
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

You should install 3.11 first before 4.12. Uninstall 4.12, then install 3.11, followed by 4.12 (Don't allow it to play 3.11a contents). If needs be, install Radium MP3 codec so that you can create MP3 tracks as well.

Comment

• DS2K
      • Apr 2002

What setting/codec is best??

Originally posted by Enchanter
      You should install 3.11 first before 4.12. Uninstall 4.12, then install 3.11, followed by 4.12 (Don't allow it to play 3.11a contents). If needs be, install Radium MP3 codec so that you can create MP3 tracks as well.
      Thanks I found what I was looking for.

I did a test covert only to find that I can't get them as small as I like.

What setting/codec is best??

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I would use nandub + 3.11a. It provides superior quality (to me, at least), compared to the newer DivX generation. However, if you find nandub intimidating to use at first and if you're not really comfortable with video encoding yet, I would suggest Flask/4.12 or Virtualdub/4.12, both using two-pass mode of course.

What sort of thing are you trying to do? Capture or DVD -> DivX?

Comment

• DS2K
          • Apr 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
          I would use nandub + 3.11a. It provides superior quality (to me, at least), compared to the newer DivX generation. However, if you find nandub intimidating to use at first and if you're not really comfortable with video encoding yet, I would suggest Flask/4.12 or Virtualdub/4.12, both using two-pass mode of course.

What sort of thing are you trying to do? Capture or DVD -> DivX?
          I got a few movies off the net. Some are in AVI (mpg4.2) some are MPG. I want to covert them to Divx mainly to save space.

What does two-pass mode do

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Here's what I just typed earlier:

In the first pass, the encoder analyses the video stream so that it can plot a bitrate curve for that specific video. It takes as long as it would when encoding the video normally.

The second pass encodes or compresses the video into the DivX format, all the while making use of the bitrate curve generated in the first pass. This basically allows the encoder to take some bits away from low-motion scenes, which do not require a lot of bits, and give them to fast-motion scenes, which will definitely require a lot of bits. Overall, this results in superior quality compared to 1-pass mode.

The encoding takes at least twice as long.

Comment

• techno
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2001

NANDUB FOR DVD RIP 2 PASS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But not as good for capturing but I am getting there in Nandub!

Techno

Comment

• DS2K
                • Apr 2002

Originally posted by techno
                NANDUB FOR DVD RIP 2 PASS RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But not as good for capturing but I am getting there in Nandub!

Techno
                Gee wound it be to mush trouble to give me a WORKING!! URL!!!

I found it at http://www.nandub.org/ only to get a stuffed RAR file.

I found another link only to fine I'm missing a DLL which I can't find!!

Comment

• Enchanter
                  Old member
                  • Feb 2002

Stuffed URL? I got nandub from the very same homepage too, so it can't be stuffed unless something's been changed. Which version did you get (The latest is v1.0 rc2). And you do know how to 'unrar' RAR files, don't you?

Comment

Working...