Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Taiguy
    • Apr 2002

DivX 5.0 Pro Questions

Before DivX 5.0 came out my movie making process was pretty straightforward with no frills. Rip using SmartRipper, demultiplex using GraphEdit, encode video with 2 pass DivX 4.12 directly in DVD2AVI, Compress and merge audio with video.

Now that DivX 5.0 Pro is out, and apparently "sooo much better" then the previous versions of DivX, how the heck am I supposed to use it???

First off, is there a calculator for DivX 5.0 Pro? Since the file size is supposed to be %20+ smaller the old calculators are obsolete.

Secondly, what's the best way to go about encoding movies now that DivX 5.0 Pro doesn't work with DVD2AVI (so i've heard)???
  • RUF
    • Mar 2002

SImply - don`t use it. )) It`s true that the final file is 20% smaller, but the quality is also about 5-10% worse. And the problem whit DVD2AVI persist.
    So I am staying whit the 4.12 and 3.11 alfa. Sometimes 3.11 is better

Comment

• RUF
      • Mar 2002

SImply - don`t use it. )) It`s true that the final file is 20% smaller, but the quality is also about 5-10% worse. And the problem whit DVD2AVI persist.
      So I am staying whit the 4.12 and 3.11 alfa. Sometimes 3.11 is better

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Re: DivX 5.0 Pro Questions

Originally posted by Taiguy

First off, is there a calculator for DivX 5.0 Pro? Since the file size is supposed to be %20+ smaller the old calculators are obsolete.
        Who told you this ?, in 2-pass mode filesize prediction works just fine (except in the case where the movie is saturated) with any divx4 bitrate calulator, the file won't be smaller than with divx4 it will be better quality. In fact so far filesize prediction seem to be a lot mode precise than divx4, with divx5 I usually get within 5 MB off the target, with divx4 getting filesizes more than 20 MB off the target was not unussual.

Secondly, what's the best way to go about encoding movies now that DivX 5.0 Pro doesn't work with DVD2AVI (so i've heard)???
        I'am not 100% sure if this is true or not.
        But there are a number of different ways to transcode.
        Personally I always like flask(slow) and GordianKnot(still no internal support for divx5, you have to take the avs into vdub manually)
        Last edited by khp; 7 Apr 2002, 01:07 AM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...