Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mpegger
    • Nov 2001

Best way to encode multiple files?

I've come across abit of a problem. I have some video I captured off the TV and it came out great. All the audio is in sync, and the video looks great. But the avi's are very large, so I had to capture the video in about 8 minute files. I used VirtualDub and the Append AVI option and all looks fine. But when I try to encode the file, the audio goes WAY off sync from the very beginning. So I take it I sould remove the audio first, THEN interleave it after I encode the video.
    But I'm wondering whats the best method to do this? I'm thinking of 2 ways currently.

1. Encode each individual avi, both the video and audio and interleave them. Then, after all the avi's are encoded, join them all together.

2. Encode each individual avi, video only. Join the videos first, THEN interleave the entire audio track.

Which is the easiest method? I'm thinking #1 would be the better solution since the audio will match the video, and after joining it sould all still be in sync.

And one more question. Whats the best program to use to interleave a mp3 audio track with a DivX5 video track? I've read that VirtualDub can't interleave a mp3 unless it has a wav header appended to it, but wont that throw off the correct start of the audio so that it stays in sync? Is there a better program to interleave mp3 and avi?

TIA
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Before you go through an awful lot of possibly unnecessary effort, try the following:

1) Load ONLY the SECOND segment into VirtualDub

2) Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

3) From under the "Audio" dropdown menu, select "Interleaving"

4) Enter 1,000 in the box labeled "Audio skew correction" (You may have to adjust this number to get it "just right")

5) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and save this revised replacement file with a new name (Note: If you play this file by itself, it WILL be out of synch - but not to worry)

6) Close VirtualDub (as a precaution)

7) Re-open VirtualDub

8) Set both "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"

9) Load your FIRST file

10) Append the REVISED second file (Make certain NOT to append the original second file during this step or the next!)

11) Append file 3 through last

12) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "Save as AVI" and save this combined file with a new name

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Mpegger
      • Nov 2001

I understand what you want me to do, but I'm not sure its possible. Each of the files are greater then 1gig in size, and there are 6 files in total per "episode". I wouldn't be able to save more then 3 sections at a time, cause the 4th would cause the file to be larger then 4gigs, and I currently use Win98SE.

The total running time of each episode is only about 47 minutes, so the encoding wouldn't take too long. But if I can save some steps here and there, it would help alot.

BTW, what exactly would setting the audio skew so large to only the 2nd file do? Does it cause all the other files to align themselves correctly? This is the first time I've tried encoding a avi. I've done mostly mpeg before, but after seeing how good a quality I can get with DivX, I've made the switch. But I've never tried encodeing multiple files that are so large, just smaller 1 section files.

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

If these are uncompressed avi's that you wish to join...why don't you convert each part and then join them as Setarip has indicated?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"I used VirtualDub and the Append AVI option and all looks fine. But when I try to encode the file, the audio goes WAY off sync from the very beginning."

What I've proposed addresses your question.

If you have a DivX (or other) codec installed on your system, first use VirtualDub to compress the video of each file...

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

setarip, I think u missed a special thread....

Techno

Comment

• Mpegger
              • Nov 2001

I guess I sould have said that the avi's are as close to uncompressed as can be.

So I sould encode each file individually first to DivX format, then use your method for joing multiple avi's, correct?

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

Yes, that's what I would suggest. If you so desire, at the same time, from within VirtualDub, you can compress the audio (if not already in compressed form) in MP3 format. This will eliminate any size barriers...

Comment

• techno
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Nov 2001

to setarip

setarip:

u do have a problem with me. why?

Comment

• techno
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Nov 2001

Please setarip, I come in Peace, I have done nothing wrong to you so please help me my friend, is it too much to ask for?

Comment

Working...