Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tweekie
    • Dec 2005

Encoding Xvids with TMPGENC 2.5

Hi i'm trying to encode an xvid to dvd following the guide provided by Lt Columbo. I'm usually successful following this guide although the past two times I have followed the resulting file at the end of the tmpgenc bit is a file that my computer does not recognise. Can anyone help me out here?
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

you should have an .mpeg-2 file. can you provide more details of the source file, steps used etc. and what software are you using to playback? MPC i hope
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• Tweekie
      • Dec 2005

HI there thanks for getting back to me.

The source file is a xvid with a bit rate of 129 and frame rate 23 frames and a data rate of 118.

I'm using TMPGENC 2.5 and i'm following your guide to a T only in relation to the TMPGENC bit and in relation to files that are 23 frames. I'm not doing anything else. I have used your guide many times and I only ever need to use the bit about TMPGENC as I usually find that once I have followed your TMPGENC directions I can then author it in TMPGENC and add my menus and then burn it to disc with dvd shrink. On this occasion when I follow your directions for TMPGENC the end result is an unrecognised union file! I cannot play it back nor anything else. This is quite strange. I use winamp to play my files in as I find that plays most things although I do have mpc installed.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

what is the extension of the output file?
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• celtic_druid
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Dec 2005

I thought this forum was for encoding to XviD, not encoding from XviD? At least that is what the description says.
          Talk about conversion and encoding to the XviD MPEG-4 format

TMPGEnc outputs, mpg, m2v, mp2 and m1v files. To get something else you would have to change it manually.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

i'm sure the mods will decide if it should be moved.
            Columbo moments...

Comment

• Tweekie
              • Dec 2005

I'm sorry I must have miss read the title of the forum.

I have deleted the end file i'm sorry. I'm not sure what the extention was.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

not much i can help you with now i guess you may have changed the output by accident (file>output to file.)
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• Tweekie
                  • Dec 2005

Ok thanks anyway matey - it might have just been a problem with the orginal xvid as if just done a different xvid and that works. Of may be it was a codec prob?

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                    Demigod of Digital Video
                    • Nov 2004

it is possible that it was different from the others, a screenshot of the file information from something like vdubmod or gspot would tell us that. it could still have been the file at fault too. but i guess it doesn't matter now since it's deleted, glad the guide has been working for you
                    Columbo moments...

Comment

Working...