Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ducatisto
    • May 2005

Joining AVI's with VirtualDub

I have two AVI's that I want to join and following tutorials I have done so successfully in the past but a pair I am now trying to join are creating a problem. I get an error message as follows;
    VirtualDub has detected an improper VBR audio encoding in the source AVI file and will rewrite the audio header with standard CBR values during processing for better compatability etc etc
    Ok so I thought, I then attempted to append the avi with the second part but it flatly refused to do so by stating that the sampling rates were different (15596 vs 15394). I attempted to save part 1 after VD "corrected" the audio and likewise with part 2 and then tried to join them but got the same problem as initially. I have played both AVI's back and could see no sync problems with vid and audio, how can I get the two parts to "marry" up successfully?

[EDIT] I attempted several ways to amend and join the two AVI files as per some posts in reply to similar problems. In the end I searched for "AVI joining program" and came across AVI Joiner. What the hell I thought and downloaded and installed said program. A very simple interface indeed and was expecting a similar result as I got from VirtualDub, but no it successfully joined the two AVI's without fuss. I checked the output file especially around the join and all was ok. Here endeth my problem........me hopes![/EDIT]
    Last edited by Ducatisto; 10 Jan 2006, 05:03 AM. Reason: solved the problem
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

glad you found a solution. i usually convert the audio to .wav then to LAME mp3 before editing, when that message appears.
    "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• tigerman8u
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Aug 2003

Avi joiner is a good little tool. Shows that a program doesn't have to be large/complicated to get the job done.

Comment

• XJeepguy
        • Dec 2005

Fat32

I tried to use VDub the other day and got an error that said , the file size your trying to make is to large for a Fat32 file system

This was when I was saving part 1 , it wouldnt proceed after this . The file size was at 3.99 gigs . Anyone run into this message yet ? Not trying to jack the thread , just figured since the topic is VDub, I thought I would ask .

Thank You

XJ

Comment

• benbryant
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Aug 2005

Hi XJeepguy,

Normally this error appears if your OS is Windows 98 or ME not with Windows XP though

Regards

Comment

• XJeepguy
            • Dec 2005

Your right , I'm running XP Pro here . So... not sure why I'm seeing that message .

XJ

Comment

• anonymez
              Super Moderator
              • Mar 2004

what is your file system? fat32 CAN be used with xp. looks like you haven't converted to NTFS yet. do it through your windows xp cd

or better yet, type "convert c: /fs:ntfs" (without quotes) in command prompt
              Last edited by anonymez; 10 Jan 2006, 02:20 PM.
              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• techreactor
                Banned
                • Jul 2005

Originally Posted by XJeepguy
                I tried to use VDub the other day and got an error that said , the file size your trying to make is to large for a Fat32 file system

This was when I was saving part 1 , it wouldnt proceed after this . The file size was at 3.99 gigs . Anyone run into this message yet ? Not trying to jack the thread , just figured since the topic is VDub, I thought I would ask .

Thank You

XJ
                Its to with FAT32 and not the OS. Max single file size limit in fat32 is 4 GB, lower your file size a bit and it will work.

Comment

• Ducatisto
                  • May 2005

Originally Posted by techreactor
                  Its to with FAT32 and not the OS. Max single file size limit in fat32 is 4 GB, lower your file size a bit and it will work.
                  Firstly thanks for the replies and no worries, hijack away

As tech says, 4 gigs your lot with Fat32, had the same prob here running WinXP Pro, nowt to do with the OS just the file system. CONVERT TO NTFS NOW!!!! and you will be saved

Comment

• anonymez
                    Super Moderator
                    • Mar 2004

@techreactor: lowering file size will work, but to do that he will either have to re-encode at a lower bitrate (which will lower quality and lengthen the process), or join less/smaller clips than he wants to. NTFS is definitely recommended for xp systems, and especially for video editing

Comment

• XJeepguy
                      • Dec 2005

After my last post I realized that , fat32 is the culprit for sure .

After reading about this avi to dvd conversion I fooled with it some last night useing AVI2DVD . I started with a 183 meg .avi and ended up with a 1.12 GIG dvd ISO . Is this about the average multiplication factor ? That means the other one I was going to mess with ( 783 meg .avi) will end up being a 4.7 ( aprox.) Gig file ? And thats only half , there is still part 2 to squeeze in there somehow

XJ

Comment

• Ducatisto
                        • May 2005

Originally Posted by anonymez
                        what is your file system? fat32 CAN be used with xp. looks like you haven't converted to NTFS yet. do it through your windows xp cd

or better yet, type "convert c: /fs:ntfs" (without quotes) in command prompt
                        Hmph, I went to try that and on entering "convert e: /fs:ntfs" (without quotes) in command prompt it came back with the message

C:\Documents and Settings\Ducatisto>convert D: /fs:ntfs
                        The type of the file system is FAT32.
                        Enter current volume label for drive D:
                        What am I doing wrong??? My drive setup is as per first post.

Comment

• anonymez
                          Super Moderator
                          • Mar 2004

volume label is just the "name" you can give a hard disk, most people don't have one. to find out if you do justl look at the drive in 'my computer' or, open command prompt, type "vol c:" (again, without quotes)

if it gives you a volume label, enter it after entering convert c: /fs:ntfs. if not, just hit enter.

Comment

Working...