TMPGen won't convert some files!!! Help!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nausicaa33
    • Nov 2007

Not sure what the problem is.

Okay so I use virtual dub version 1.6.17 to convert my avi files to wav files for the audio part. I use TMPGen version 2.58 to create the mpeg files. When I burn them using my software there is no volume. This only happens with certain files. I found a really old avi file of a childhood movie: The phantom tollbooth. Classic kind of. Anyway when I burn it on DVD there is no volume. There is volume in the original copy and I can burn other things without a problem in audio. The video compression is XVID. Could this be the problem? It's also possible that this is super complicated and it won't work but I have faith!! Help would be wicked!!

Comment

• LT. Columbo
      Demigod of Digital Video
      • Nov 2004

Originally Posted by nausicaa33
      Okay so I use virtual dub version 1.6.17 to convert my avi files to wav files for the audio part. I use TMPGen version 2.58 to create the mpeg files. When I burn them using my software there is no volume. This only happens with certain files. I found a really old avi file of a childhood movie: The phantom tollbooth. Classic kind of. Anyway when I burn it on DVD there is no volume. There is volume in the original copy and I can burn other things without a problem in audio. The video compression is XVID. Could this be the problem? It's also possible that this is super complicated and it won't work but I have faith!! Help would be wicked!!
      are you remembering to plug the .wav file into TMPGenc? does the outputted mpg have sound?
      "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
      Columbo moments...
      "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
      "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
      (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• nausicaa33
        • Nov 2007

Getting somewhere

The original avi file has audio. I didn't think to check the mpeg but it doesn't have any sound. I stuck the wav file in the TMPGenc for sure. Could the avi conversion not be working or the settings be off? I'm not good at this stuff at all so I have no idea. Thanks for your help so far!!

Comment

• MilesAhead
          Eclectician
          • Nov 2006

nausicaa33 it might be helpful to run MediaInfo or GSpot on
          the .avi file so we know what format the audio is in to start with.
          Also which version of TMPGEnc are you using?

Comment

• nausicaa33
            • Nov 2007

Info

the TMPGenc version I use is 2.58.44.152. I have Gspot and I ran it. It had a lot of info there so I hope this is what you need.
            it said it was a "Divx Style 'Packed bitstream AVI'"
            also Open DML (AVI v2.0)
            If there is any other info you need let me know!

Thanks again for the help!!

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

the TMPGenc version I use is 2.58.44.152. I have Gspot and I ran it. It had a lot of info there so I hope this is what you need.
              it said it was a "Divx Style 'Packed bitstream AVI'"
              also Open DML (AVI v2.0)
              If there is any other info you need let me know!

Thanks again for the help!!
              It should say something about the audio in the lower left
              quadrant. Like "mp3" or "ac3" or "pcm" or something.

Comment

• nausicaa33
                • Nov 2007

Gspot analysis

Ok it says Dolby AC3 under audio codec
                it also says 48000 Hz, 256 kb/sec, tot, stereo (2/0)

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Ok it says Dolby AC3 under audio codec
                  it also says 48000 Hz, 256 kb/sec, tot, stereo (2/0)
                  That will do it right there. TMPGEnc Plus didn't support AC3 unless you
                  purchased an add-on plugin.

If it's not imperative to have AC3 audio then what you can do is use
                  an audio conversion tool to convert the AC3 to .wav. When I used
                  TMPGEnc Plus often I would regularly drop the video on GoldWave.
                  Save the .wav file. Then in the TMPGEnc wizard select this .wav file
                  as the audio input. It should work then.

Comment

• nausicaa33
                    • Nov 2007

Virtual dub

I have been using Virtual dub to create a wav file to plug into the audio file part in TMPGen. It could be that Virtual dub doesn't correctly convert AC3. Do you suggest using Goldwave instead for this?

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

I have been using Virtual dub to create a wav file to plug into the audio file part in TMPGen. It could be that Virtual dub doesn't correctly convert AC3. Do you suggest using Goldwave instead for this?

Instead of just taking one shot in the dark after another I would recommend
                      you try to determine if the problem lies with the source files or the converter.
                      e.g. try the source files with different converters. If they don't work with
                      anything they're probably corrupted. If the reverse is true then the problem
                      may like with TMPGEnc. Organized trial and error can be a good thing
                      (scientists just call it "experimentation" because it sounds more, er,
                      scientific.)
                      Last edited by MilesAhead; 4 Dec 2007, 09:50 AM. Reason: formatting

Comment

• nausicaa33
                        • Nov 2007

Wow it worked!!

I used the Goldwave program to create the wav file and it just worked for some reason!!! Thanks for all your help!! This forum rocks that ****!!

Comment

• MilesAhead
                          Eclectician
                          • Nov 2006

I used the Goldwave program to create the wav file and it just worked for some reason!!! Thanks for all your help!! This forum rocks that ****!!
                          Glad you got it working. TMPGEnc Plus can be a bit finicky.

Comment

Working...