Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sean
    • Nov 2001

divx/avi what is the difference some one tell me

hi ,im new to all this dvd lark but have managed to rip dvd mpeg2 to avi format then played the avi back but there was no sound so i then managed to extract the sound and sync it to my avi ..works fine..when i converted to avi from mpeg2 the mpeg 2 was 5 gig in size wow i thought thats a big file to have on me hard drive but when converted to avi this was reduced to 1.2 gig great i thought now all i wanted to do now was to split this avi so that i can put it on 2 discs managed to do that 2 and the audio is synched to as i thought splitting them would put the audio out of sync but no everything is fine.i bet ya thinking what has this got to do with the subject i posted...well this is all i wanted to know really what is the difference between avi and divx and what is the better format

sorry for going on but rather chuffed with myself as this is the first time i have tred making a backup with gr8 success

tx for hearing me out

sean
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

AVI is a file format. AVI stands for Audio Video Interleave, in short the avi fileformat defines how a video and an audio stream can be put into a single file, without strictly defineing which video and audio format must be used.
    divx is a video format that can be used in an avi-file.
    There is no divx file format as such.

khp
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...