X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • varunbali
    Unavailable
    • Jan 2006

How to Crop & Resize a 16:9 pal dvd

I have dvd of 'The Cave' that has an aspect ratio of 16:9 pal. I want to remove the black bars from the movie & then crop & resize the movie accurately to 4:3 ratio so that it can fit my tv screen completely. How do I proceed then ? I actually want to make a vcd out of it.

I have Vdubmod, DGIndex, TMPGEnc 3.0 XPress, TMPGEnc 2.5 plus & canopus procoder 2.0.
  • ca197
    • Feb 2006

16:9 to 4:3

Cropping a 16:9 movie to 4:3 is not as easy as you would think. As far as doing it is concered there are really only two methods. Intelegent cropping and just plain cut out the centre.

Intelegent cropping is what is used by the TV companies that broadcast in 4:3. Basically they watch the whole film and they crop each scene by hand using a 4:3 expandable box which they place over the part they want (I saw it on TV once). Then its croped to this. As far as I know there is no way of doing this easyily. You could try a proper video editing tool like Adobe premier.

In regards to cropping the centre out then you can use GKnot (If you want to compress) or some variety of Virtual Dub (With Tmpeg if I remember rightly). There are many more of this sort of app out there and most will let you crop.

The question is however, why would you want to? The first thing I would do is dispose of the 4:3 TV, Buy a Widescreen TV and enjoy the film as it was intended.

Comment

• varunbali
      Unavailable
      • Jan 2006

Thanx for the info but Dude, I dont have a widescreen tv so I will have to get on with my standard TV(4:3). Moreover I dont like the black margins covering the movie. I enjoy watching the movie on fullscreen size. Anyway, I have figured the way to accurately crop a movie to fullscreen size. Thanx for showing your concern anyway.

Comment

• ed klein
        Banned
        • Mar 2004

I use TMPGEnc plus to take a source DVD 16:9 wide screen disk and convert to 4:3 full screen. Will also do croping of the black north and south borders.
        As an alternative you can use the first level of zoon on your remote to remove the black north and south borders.

And by far the best way to go is to get a wide screen TV, that is the future screen size. To see the east and west border edges.

Comment

Working...