X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lui
    • Apr 2002

File Size problems!

Hi,
    I am here. I have ripped a couple of dvd's before but always had a problems with file sizes. I use flaskmpeg and follow the tutorial given here at digital-digest. I use advanced bitrate calculator for determining the bit rate. I always end up with odd file sizes. Its either too low or too high. For example i just ripped the movie airheads and ended up with 569mb. I used a bit rate of 689 according to advanced bitrate calculator. I dont know what am i doing wrong. Could anyone pls get me out of this problem.

Thanx in advance.
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Which codec did you use ? divx3.11/4.12/5.01.
    Did you use 1 pass or 2 pass encoding ?

It been my experience that in 2-pass mode divx4 is never off by more than 20MB, and divx5 is never off by more than 5 MB, except when the movie is saturated (at highest possible quality)
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• Lui
      • Apr 2002

I am using divx 4.12. I was using 1 pass and i will try with 2 pass and divx 5.0 now. Thanx for your help. BTW what is 1 pass and what is 2 pass.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

In the divx codec configuration menu there is a 'variable bitrate mode' selection box (see attached gif).

Here you have four choices

1-Pass
        In this mode the codec will try to stay close to the set bitrate, but filesize prediction won't be as good as 2-pass and overall quality won't be as good either.

1-pass Quality based
        In this mode the codec will encode all frames at a fixed quality level. Bitrate settings are ignored in this mode and filesize prediction is impossible. This mode is primarily for testing, and encoding short clips.

2-Pass first pass
        This is the first pass of the 2-pass encoding process, to encode a movie in 2 pass mode, you must use this for the first of the 2 passes.

2-Pass second pass
        This is the second pass of the 2-pass encoding process.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by khp; 18 Apr 2002, 11:44 AM.

Comment

• Erci
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Nov 2001

I sugget that you using 3.11 instead... the quality is better.

//Erci
          DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

2-pass 3.11 (using nandub) is much harder than 2-pass 4.12 (Using most available video encoders), due to its wealth of options. I would suggest getting used to using 4.x or 5.x 2-pass mode before trying out SBC encoding (2-pass 3.11a).

Comment

• Erci
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Nov 2001

That's sure true. But if you use GordianKnot it'll get much easier.

//Erci
              DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

of course, use nandub!

u may wish to use DVDx too but nandub is the way to go

look at Erci's guide or mine

Erci's is probably better explained but I have the other DVDx method.

Techno

Comment

• khp
                  The Other
                  • Nov 2001

Originally posted by Erci
                  I sugget that you using 3.11 instead... the quality is better.
                  Arhh... This is the kind of statements I really really hate.

First of all it's off topic, Lui's question was about filesize prediction, not 'which codec is better'. I think there are enough threads on the quality difference between codecs, letting this discussion overflow into other threads is just spam.

Secondly please try to properly qualify your statements, that means:

1. Make it clear that this is just your opinion, if I didn't know any better, your statement would have me belive that it's a generally accepted fact that divx3.11 is better quality than divx4/5.

2. As enchanter already pointed out:
                  Make it clear under which circumstances you think divx3.11 is better, Lui was using using Flask, when using flask it's my opinion that divx3.11 is significantly inferior to divx4/5, because it can't do 2-pass encoding.

Thirdly when responding to a newbie question it usually a good idear to give a more indepth explanation of your opinions. This means pointing out relevant guides, you mention GordianKnot, let me just help you with a link to the official guides.

I know you and techno have written guides on GKnot would you mind replacing those with a link to the official guides, I'am sorry to say this but especially technos guide look like crap compared to doom9's guides.
                  Last edited by khp; 19 Apr 2002, 01:23 AM.

Comment

Working...