Merging subtitles with avi files. Will it lose quality?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • noobsaibot
    • Apr 2002

Merging subtitles with avi files. Will it lose quality?

My doubt is:

I have a final divx avi file, without subtitles, but I have the .ssa file with the subtitles.

Using virtualdub to put them in the video (merge them), requires use of filter, wich requires full processing mode. When doing full processing mode I have to choose a codec. I used divx 5.0 to encode it the first time with 1000kpbs.

Now in virtualdub when saving the avi with the subtitle it seems to be reencoding the whole movie. Say I, have configured the codec to the same settings when doing the non-subtitled avi. Will I lose quality by doing this?

I was worried because a similar process done with wav to mp3 files and reencoding again will surely "destroy" the quality of the music. And now I would like to know if this happens to the avi as well.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I was worried because a similar process done with wav to mp3 files and reencoding again will surely 'destroy' the quality of the music."

Since I've never experienced this, I would ask on what you base this assumption...

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

If you do your reencoding properly and preferrably in 2-pass, you shouldn't notice any quality degradation. I'm positive there will be some quality loss (Take, for example nandub's Detail Removal Factor), but you will be probably be unable to see it.

Comment

• noobsaibot
        • Apr 2002

Originally posted by setarip
        "I was worried because a similar process done with wav to mp3 files and reencoding again will surely 'destroy' the quality of the music."

Since I've never experienced this, I would ask on what you base this assumption...
        I meant that if you reenconde a mp3, even with the same bitrate, there will signal loss.

Comment

• shion
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Feb 2002

from my experiences if you are using
          low bitrates (to save space)
          you will have macroblocks around the subtitles
          but with higher bitrates should have no quality loss
          at all

Comment

• zoltanlasz
            • Nov 2004

So if you did it would you tell me what is the procedure to making it ,vith virtual dub or other softwer,.because i don't know how to merge the subtitle into the movie.i got the soft but i don't know how to do it!!!
            THx a lot!!!

Comment

• noobsaibot
              • Apr 2002

ok... here we go

Do you have all the required software? This includes the filter for opening subtitles in VirtualDub, which you should place a copy into the plug-ins folder of VDub.

It was long time ago when I did that, and if I remember well, this filter will only accept the .ssa format, so maybe you have to do some conversion, if your source subs aren't .ssa. But be carefull when converting and pay attention to framerate related issues.

Open Vdub, then click Video-> Filter, choose Subtitler, and then a window pops-up asking for the .ssa file.

Then you should do a preview to see if everything is OK (you can do that by using the slide bar below and watching the output screen). After that, make sure full processing is chosen (I never tried fast recompression), choose codec settings and encode the file. Hope that helps.

Comment

Working...