Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grif_mcrenolds
    • Jan 2002

The First DivX capable DVD Player!

Since DivX recently partnered with e.Digital, the first DivX player is on its way! But how do you burn a DivX CD? This is an important issue going on in the DivX community. I started a thread at http://www.divx.com/forums/viewtopic...=32308&forum=5 to talk about this issue. We came up with a solution: MCF-CD. MCF-CD is the standard by Tronic and Ingo that uses DAT file on a Mode 2 CD, like a VCD. But we need a bunch of posts to convince DivXNetworks to use it! So please post at my thread and help us make MCF-CD the standard for the DivX player.

Solution for decent, free TV:
    http://www.waycross.org/
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If, in fact, such a DVD player does come to pass, why wouldn't/shouldn't it be able to handle a CD-R that's been burned as a standard data CD - just as standalone DVD players with the capability presently handle .MP3 CD-Rs?

Comment

• grif_mcrenolds
      • Jan 2002

It probably would. It's just that in MCF-CD you have an extra 100 MBs since it's burned it Mode 2, and you'd have title breaks just like in DVD/VCD. MCF-CD isn't a new type of CD, just a different technique of burning the files. So you can burn MCF-CD to any CD-R/RW.

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

a divx player would be awesome...any chance of it coming in Canada?

Comment

• khp
          The Other
          • Nov 2001

Originally posted by grif_mcrenolds
          MCF-CD isn't a new type of CD, just a different technique of burning the files. So you can burn MCF-CD to any CD-R/RW.
          MCF-CD's isn't a new type of CD (it uses mode 2 form 2) but it is an entirely new file format, in fact it's far from completed yet, we still need DS filters capable of reading the format. So it'll probably be a while before you can use MCF-CD in WMP or any other software player. And I seriously doubt we will ever see standalone players capable of playing MCF-CD's.

The first Standalone divx players wil probably be able to play MP4 files burnend on a standard joliet data CD, and maybe mode 2 form 2 CD's, the MP4 file format has error detection so this should be possible.
          Last edited by khp; 21 Apr 2002, 04:35 AM.
          Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
          http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

well, that would be great.

But the question is:

can it play 3.11alpha encoded movies???

I know it's illegal version but will it support it?

Techno

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Mar 2002

also, what if there is a new divX version out. Will the player support it. or will you need to uprade the firmware or something. And if you do need to uprade will there be charges
              MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
              Look here before posting questions

Comment

• khp
                The Other
                • Nov 2001

Originally posted by hacker_on_fire
                also, what if there is a new divX version out. Will the player support it. or will you need to uprade the firmware or something. And if you do need to uprade will there be charges
                Well the mp4 file format is resonably stable, and my guess is that this is what standalone divx players will use. Future versions of divx will probably just become more efficient within the confines of this format (better motion search and other stuff).

As for avi files encoded with divx(Mpeg-4) video streams that's an entirely different question, as I recall SigmaDesigns have stated that the X-Card will work with divx4 and above, I assume that there will be a software layer, that will extract the video stream from the avi file, and sends that to the X-Card.

I don't have a clue, if standalone divx-players will be able to playback avi files, part of the problem with this is that avi, doesn't support B-frames very well. The way divx5 does it, is kind of a hack, and they changed it in version5.0.1, which means that avi files encoded with divx5.0.1 can't be playedback using divx5.0
                Last edited by khp; 21 Apr 2002, 06:19 AM.

Comment

• grif_mcrenolds
                  • Jan 2002

I'm testing out the MCF-CD format on an 800 MB rip right now. I got the first pass done for austin powers, and will do the second pass tonight. I already encoded the audio in 80kbps Vorbis, which is very sweet by the way. I will encapsulate the audio/video in Ogg and convert it to DAT. From there I will run the MCF-CD creator that DeXT has supplied and burn it to an 80 minute CD. The last step is to extract the DAT to hard drive and see if its intergrity is preserved. This feels so good.

Comment

• techno
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Nov 2001

Homer Simpson - "haaalllllllllllllaaaalgggghhhhhhh" - DRULL....

Comment

• khp
                      The Other
                      • Nov 2001

Originally posted by grif_mcrenolds
                      I'm testing out the MCF-CD format on an 800 MB rip right now. I got the first pass done for austin powers, and will do the second pass tonight. I already encoded the audio in 80kbps Vorbis, which is very sweet by the way. I will encapsulate the audio/video in Ogg and convert it to DAT. From there I will run the MCF-CD creator that DeXT has supplied and burn it to an 80 minute CD. The last step is to extract the DAT to hard drive and see if its intergrity is preserved. This feels so good.
                      Interresting, from what I hear it might be a good idear to burn at 4x speed or even lower.

Looking forward to hear of you success.

Comment

• grif_mcrenolds
                        • Jan 2002

Successful! I just burned that Kermit the from trailer at DivX.com to MCF-CD! I ran two test, one with MP4 and one with Ogg.

First I ran the DivX MP4 creator to convert the AVI to MP4. Then I used DeXT's MCF-CD creator to convert the MP4 to an image. I burned the image with Nero at 4x. Successful! But heres the real test: we have already proven that MCF-CD can be burned, but playback is still impossible without the Direct Show filters. So I used DAT2FILE to convert the .dat file back to .mp4. I opened the MP4 in DivX Player 2.0 Alpha 3 - it crashed. So MP4 doesn't work with MCF-CD.

Next, I tested it out with Ogg. I extracted the audio from the trailer, converted it to PCM, then to Vorbis. (I thought that since I'm using the Ogg file format, I might as well use Vorbis.) I ran Graphedit to mux the AVI and Vorbis file into an .ogm. Then I ran the MCF-CD creator, converted it to an image, and burned it. Burned successfully. I ran DAT2FILE, converted it back to Ogg. It can play! I ran the .ogm in WMP and it played!

So MCF-CD does work. Even without the CDFS error correction, an Ogg file can be burned in Mode 2. It's too bad that MP4 doesn't work (yet) and that you can't playback without converting back to Ogg, but you can burn stuff in hope of the DirectShow filters coming out and even use MCF-CD for back-up reasons. My next test will involve buring an 800 MB Ogg to MCF-CD, once I finish encoding that it.

Comment

Working...