Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NLX
    • Apr 2002

DVDx - Your favourite settings...

I'm pretty new to DVDx and I'm trying to get the best settings for a DVD-rip... I would appriciate if experienced users of DVDx want to share their settings with me... (Resolution, Encoding type, ...)

I'm also wondering if it is better to rip a DVD to VCD then ripping it to DivX...

Thanks!

PS: Or do you know a better tool then DVDx for one-step-ripping?
    Last edited by NLX; 23 Apr 2002, 06:24 PM.
  • hermanthegerman
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2002

DVDx isn't the best solution to create a Divx movie. If you want a

Comment

• hermanthegerman
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Apr 2002

Uuups.... Sorry, something got lost here....

If you want a simple solution you can use smartripper to rip the VOB files and Xmpeg to create you Divx. But if you want best quality and full control of your movie there are some better solutions, i.e. DVD2AVI and VirtualDub.
      Just have a look at http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Try this:

method 2

remember, rough guide

I got an email from a guy in the US, says he loved it and is donating some money to me!

although it's a rough guide, take a look

Techno

Comment

• NLX
          • Apr 2002

Thanks for the links to the guides, but I've read both of them already...

I know how to rip, and I've got a prettu good idea of what all settings mean/are.

I've posted this question, because I was curious which settings other people use and what kind of result (qualkity) they will have when I try them... It was meant so I could compare the results and finally choose the best settings to rip with...

Thanks anyway!!

Comment

• hermanthegerman
            Gold Member
            Gold Member
            • Apr 2002

There are no favorite settings, cause each movie is different. It depends on what you want and how long the org. movie is, what audio quality you want, what final size you aim to (1CD or 2CD), what resolution you prefer, etc. There are so many things that will play a role on what settings to use.

Regards,
            hermanthegerman

Comment

• Erci
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Nov 2001

I would suggest that you use GKnot instead but ofcourse that's my oppinion. feel free to read my guide if you want to.

//Erci
              DVD Backup Guide

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

yeh, use method 1 of my guide, very good quality, DVD or near it! I am still experimenting with different settings.

Techno

Comment

• floater
                  • Apr 2002

Use dvdx

if u want to make divx then dont bother with dvdx. i used to use make divx with flaskmpeg back in the day, i dont know if there's better ones now.
                  i use dvdx now because if you want to make vcds or svcds that are strictly compliant (so that u can watch them in your stand-alone dvd player or philips cdi! ) dvdx is perfect. its fast and does not require you to have 5 Gb of HDD (at least). if you want exact settings let me know but basically you can use the 'check standard' button in the output settings to find most problems.

Comment

• jacko
                    • Mar 2002

Floater

I also use dvdx for vcd and svcd and would be interested in the settins that you use.

my standalone dvd player has issues when i use the svcd mode of dvdx the sound is jumpy so far the only solution i have found is to rip as vcd then burn as non compliant svcd in nero.

Comment

• boloog
                      • May 2002

I also use DVDx for encoding divx. Works fine with build in lame mp3 encoder. I don't crop images or anything because I leave my picture anamorphic (long stretched image), this because I use a wide screen TV (and now also Xcard, great picture quality, far better then my tv-out on tnt2 card) to watch the movies. All other I just leave on default. (1 pass etc)
                      I tried vcd and svcd but divx gives best quality at same bitrates. For divx (4.02 and now 5.01) I always use 720x576 (same as dvd).
                      I usually use 2 cd's for a movie so bitrate can be high, between 1200kb/s and 2000kb/s divx and sound often higher then 128kb/s Mp3. This gives a great (dvd-like) quality.
                      Also good option is that you can encode directly from dvd, or simply copy dvd to harddrive (without ripping program) and encode with DVDx. This way a fault message appears but just click ok and it works. Great program if you want to encode without bothering for too many options..

boloog
                      Last edited by boloog; 8 May 2002, 10:14 PM.

Comment

• floater
                        • Apr 2002

my dvdx settings

I've been meaning to solidify my knowledge by writing this for ages, well here it is

I agree DivX;| is good for encoding vobs. BUT, I want VCD's that work in stand alone DVD player. If you are like me then read on and I'll tell you how I do it, first time, every time, flawless.

Firstly, read (ALL OF) my tutorial, to be found here;

Then, if you want, download some samples of the quality from p2p software such as found on www.kazaa.com and www.xolox.com and search for the string "352288". I hope you will join me in copying stuff, and sharing it so that all the rubbish out there will fade away. Please send your friends the pdf. Using my method on a P4 1.8GHz will copy the average dvd straight to VCD in 2 and a half hours.

enjoy
                        Last edited by floater; 19 Jul 2002, 04:56 AM.

Comment

• floater
                          • Apr 2002

Just a note to Jacko...

Just a note to Jacko...

SVCD's work fine in my dvd player when made with dvdx.

ripping a vcd with dvdx then burning it as a svcd with nero is pointless, you will get no better quality, only more discs.

In my opinion, if you follow my guide ...

....vcd quality is fine.

It may look crap on your monitor, if pc slow, try powerdvd and set you desktop resolution to 640x480, this smooths pixels and playback on slow pc's.

stick it on a disc (making sure that if the dvd was pal or ntsc u set the same in nero) it'll look great.

Comment

Working...