X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ozzy_holland
    • Apr 2002

DV-file encoding

Hi,

I have made my first production. The final version, for tape, is about 12 AVI-files (*uncompressed*), totalling 10 Gb, in Digital Video quality.

Of course, I could make a VCD of these files and burn them. (With a little tweaking I should be able to manage, as the movie is 45 minutes.

However, I think that compressing the files using DivX 5, would probably give me much better quality. *I could be wrong* The number of Faq's and Howto's on the net usually speak of ripping DVD's, and not of my *problem*.

The end-result I am aiming for, is one movie, on one CD, that can play in go. (Maybe even in a standalone-player). Due to the size of the AVI's I find it difficult to use bitrate converters and the like.

Any thoughts about how to achieve this result?

Regards,

Ozzy_holland
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

Well, DIVX 5 has a lot of bugs and file size is big.

use DIVX 3.11alpha (or use nandub 2pass) for quality and compression.

with DIVX, you cannot play it on a standalone DVD player.

What to do is to use DIVX 3.11alpha fast motion. Fast motion will compress the video ALOT and quality is the same/a touch of loss (2%) than the original quality, the reason for this is because fast motion has to do alot of work on captured material.

use something like virtualdub to open the avi's and choose fast motion with:

10key frames
    75crisp
    6000 bitrate.

You can also use nandub for a 2pass, the quality is good and you can specify final file size:

open nandub
    open avi
    goto video > sbc options > bitrate calc
    enter the details, this will only calculate video bitrate and file size
    then goto video > sbc options > sbc settings and click the motion tab.

set fm dll to 200

and then goto file > two passes enter save this

it will take twice as long but quality is worth it.

You can then add the audio later on using virtualdub by extract the wav from the uncompressed avi's and then loading it in virtualdub (in audio > wav...) and then compressing it in MP3 format (audio > compression in virtualdub)

to tell u the truth, I once had to capture from a DV and then I just converted it to MPEG2 for a touch better quality, then I used vidomi to use fast motion and the quality was excellent! (for me)

the choice is yours!

Techno

Comment

Working...