Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • videogen
    • May 2002

Hi tenchiwagner,

It's been a while since I don´t check the forum, so sorry for the delay in ther answer!

After a bunch of tests and experimenting with tips from the forum, I've found my way of capturing video from TV and convert it do DivX. Here's what I do:
    - Capture with FreeVCR in 320x240 AVI format, but compressing "on-line" with DivX 5.02 codec (set to maximum bitrate and 1-pass encoding), 16-bit 22KHz mono PCM audio and 30 fps --> those settings lead to aprox. 15Mb/min of captured video
    - Use VirtualDub to edit (cut off ads) and apply greater compression (MP3 for audio and DivX 5.02 @ 1250Kbps bit rate). A 45-minute TV show (like star trek) takes about 30 minutes to compress in my Athlon 900 with 256 RAM.

The result is a 250-300 MB file and is just fine for my needs -- I don't get any out-of-sync audio, also.

You may ask me: why don't you use ATI MMC to capture/record? I'd like to, but it doesn't work for me. The last time I've tried it, I was capturing a 2-hour movie and the application seemed to have crashed at the end of recording (it spent too much time "saving" the file) -- Does it happen to you?

Comment

• tenchiwagner
      • Apr 2003

That's great. What matters most is if it's what you want. I'm surprised though that you're only using 320x240 and still taking 300Mb of space. Did you try going to 480x360? it may not take too much more (mine vary between 300 and 400Mb, depending on the action in the capture), as there ends up being less detail per pixel, since it's spread out over a larger area. It adds a significant difference to your final product the bigger you make that encode, and they only end up being 100-160Mb when recompressed and tweaked. When you view at full screen, you almost can't tell the difference, and they look excellent output to a TV.

If that works for you don't change a thing.

Comment

• Svetlana
        • Jul 2003

VirtualDub deinterlace

Talking about deinterlacing in VurtualDub don't forget about good collection of filters at their site http://shelob.mordor.net/dgraft/other.html

Some from this list are really helpful
        AlparySoft Denoise Filter for VirtualDub

AlparySoft Deinterlace Filter for VirtualDub

see also freeware deinterlace tool for editing - Alparysoft Cleaner for Amateur Video http://www.alparysoft.com/prod/video-cleaner.phtml

Comment

Working...