Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lomtevas
    • May 2002

Camcorder DV

Camcorder avi files are way too big. What to do?

Win XP video reads a mini dv stream from a dv camcorder through a firewire adapter. It saves the files as an avi. A 2 minute clip takes up 400 megabytes. Recompressing through a recompressor application doesn't work: the image breaks up and sparkles. What to do to shrink the file and still have good quality?
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Have you tried compressing using Virtualdub to divx (read guides at divx-digest.com)?

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

This is what to do:

capture using these high settings:

NO RECOMPRESSION
      320*240
      YU12
      CD quality audio PCM
      30fps

Then use DIVX 3.11alpha to compress it using fast motion, believe me, it works like a charm and no quality loss or blocks!

I have done it all the time, and I do capturing

Techno

Comment

• lomtevas
        • May 2002

Dear Friends,

What capture software do you recommend, and then what compression software do you recommend?

The application included in the sony package offers no setup flexibility at all, and applications like adobe premier keep crashing, and those like ULead are very difficult to get to work.

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

I would lean towards virtualdub---virtualdub.org---an aweseom freebie.

Comment

• lomtevas
            • May 2002

Virtual dub doesn't detect the firewire adapter. It only detects my tuner card.

However, if I wanted to capture stuff off of my tuner, would use the settings above?

Comment

• Batman
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2002

Try Videowave---good software.

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

ur going the wrong way!!!!

use something like AVI_IO

use the capture software ur card gave u.

and use the settings that I gave u if u want quality and compression.

Techno

Comment

• lomtevas
                  • May 2002

ULead Video Studio 5 which came with the capture card is inflexible. When I create a new project, it forces me into settings that don't match yours. When, I try to adjust after choosing something else (like mpeg 1, for example) for the "project", I am blocked from changing video properties. So I crank out 500 megabyte files (for 2 minute clips) in a 720x480 DV format that I can't compress using any compressor to include divx 3, 4 or 5.

I'll look for AVI I/O. I need a capture utility that lets me save the file in the format you suggest, and then run the divx compressor. That's what I am missing.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

There have been several postings at these forums regarding similar circumstances. Search these forums for "firewire" for more specific information...

Comment

• lomtevas
                      • May 2002

Dear Friends,

You have been awesome in providing me information.

What worked? Windows XP includes an "on the fly" codec that yields a highly compressed, excellent quality file format playable in windows media player. That codec is described as "video for local playback/CD-R (2 MBPS)". It has a 640 by 480 image size, and retains 24 bit color.

From here, I'll experiment some more in getting this file to get compressed further into divx. Maybe I'll even get VHS tapes to transfer and save correctly.

Everyone's advice is so useful: getting the right applications set up the right way takes time and knowledge. Thanks for the knowledge!!

Comment

• char6401
                        • Apr 2002

I am using camcorder and capturing my own movie as well. I will suggest you to use the standard DV format for capturing ur home movie into a standard AVI file first. Then use DivX 3.11 and Nandub to encode ur big AVI file as a DivX file. Since here are many DivX experts in this forum (not me), you may have a lot support and enjoy this excellent codec.

Comment

• Jaimelazos
                          • May 2002

I use Ulead Video studio to capture video and this program itself has the capability to save the avi to a divx format, using the advanced options when saving.

Comment

• techno
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Nov 2001

neway, do like I told ya and then experiment with other folks,

Techno

Comment

Working...