Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charmonix
    • May 2002

Does 2-pass encoding take longer time?

I'm a newbie and a bit confused about one or two-pass encoding.

As I understand two pass encoding will allow the bitrate to be followed more precisely, but should it take longer time than one-pass encoding? If yes - how much longer?

charmonix
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Encoding speed in two pass mode is pretty much the same, as in one pass mode. Thous the 2-passes will take about twice as long.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• charmonix
      • May 2002

The choice between DivX4.12 and Divx5.0

DivX.com claims that DivX5.0 offers faster two-pass encoding.
      The second pass i said to use more data from the first pass, making the second pass up to 30% faster than DivX 4.12.

Still the prosesses within same version takes exactly the same time.

charmonix

Comment

• Ashtar
        • Apr 2002

Well, I haven't used 4.12 as much as 5.01 or 3.11, but I can tell you that using 2-pass in 5.01 (at least for my system, a 1600+ with 512mb DDR non OCed) goes this way: first pass=movie lenght PLUS a variable amount of time (I usually process 13 to 16 fps), with GMC and bidirectional encoding turned ON. When I switchto second pass I gain some 3 to 5 frame per second, thus reducing the encoding time. However, it *has* to process the movie another time, so as you can see encoding time in 2-pass mode can be counted as 2 times (more or less, it depends strongly on your system specs) the movie lenght.

Hope I put it in a decent way.

Comment

• techno
          Digital Video Master
          Digital Video Master
          • Nov 2001

if u want quality and low file size, use nandub + 3.11alpha 2pass method, it is worth it!

Leave the PC on overnight and select it to shutdown when job finished,

it will take about 8-10 hours for a complete 2pass

Techno

Comment

Working...