Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • charmonix
    • May 2002

Xmpeg4.5 crashes on Windows Xp

I have installed Xmpeg4.5 together with DivX Pro (5.0.1) on my laptop, but Xmpeg4.5 keeps on crashing while trying to encode my *.vob-files to the DivX-format.

To crashes always occur during the encoding process and it doesn't matter whether I choose one-pass or two pass encoding. If I choose two pass encoding the crashes always occur during the second pass making the *.avi-file unreadable.

I have succeded in encoding smaller parts of a movie so it can be a buffer or memory problem. But I'm running these programs on a Dell Latitude C840 with a Mobile Pentium 4 (1.6 GHz), 512 kB and a 40 GB disk with a lot of free space, so that shouldn't be the problem.

I've unsuccessfully tried re-installing DivX Pro (5.0.1) in case som of the *.dll-files might be corrupted.

Should I manually delete *.dll-files in the registry? In that case - which files in the directory does DivX Pro (5.0.1) install/change while installing?

charmonix
  • Jaimelazos
    • May 2002

Xmpeg 4.5 is a complete disaster. I use Xmpeg 4.2. and it works fine. Try it

Comment

• charmonix
      • May 2002

DivX Support do not recommend Xmpeg

I received an email from DivX Support recommending to use another program for encoding.

.......Xmpeg can be very buggy..... YES! It can.

What are the alternatives besides FlaskMpeg? Anyone?

charmonix
      Last edited by charmonix; 19 Jun 2002, 08:46 AM.

Comment

• Agrobak
        • May 2002

I experienced the same trouble.

I dont't think it's a problem with your hardware. DivX 501 worked pretty good with W2k, XMPEG4.5 on a P3 mobile 600MHz.

But anyway.... I like XMPEG. Hope there'll be a fix in the near future.

cheers

Agrobak

Comment

• Tarantula
          • May 2002

same problem

I am having the same problem. Xmpeg crashes during the second pass. Sometimes it will work if put the bit rate at 1800 or less. Flaskmpeg does not work at all, so if anyone has any suggestions for other programs, please help.
          P.S. could someone post a link for xmpeg 4.2
          thanks

Comment

• omnes_omnibus
            • Jun 2002

I've experienced crashes using XMPEG 4.5 in a two pass mode. I currently use DivX 5.0 which at least works if I do a manual two pass by letting the computer re-boot and then doing the second pass.

My system resources are really pushed which is funny since I have 256 MBytes of RAM and plenty of HD space for the temp files.

I've tried using XMPEG 4.0 codec, but this crashes entirely.

I've seen the same problems by others but no real solutions yet.

Any suggestions?

Comment

• charmonix
              • May 2002

Now I use FlaskMpeg 0.6 and are happy!

FlaskMpeg 0.6 really made my day. It works quite nice. I'm using DivX Pro 5.0.2 Codec.

The two pass encoding process is a bit more complicated but now I don't have to worry about my laptop crashing anymore.

Other recommendations are NanDub022+BRC which require Virtual Dub. Still a bit complicated, but might give you higher quality.

I'm happy with FlaskMpeg 0.6.

charmonix

Comment

• omnes_omnibus
                • Jun 2002

Hi Charmonix,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried Flask 0.6 but I couldn't find the MP3 Codec that would render the audio down to MP3. How do you do the audio? Do you extract it to a wav file in the compressed video AVI file, then extract it and blend it back in after converted or do you have the MP3 codec (I forget the name of it now). I went to the web-site and downloaded a file, but the compressed self-extracting codec wouldn't load. It had a funny sound but none of the buttons were active.

omnes

Comment

Working...