Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Coradius
    • May 2002

Converting DivX to DVD MPEG2

First of all I want to start by telling you I have read all I can and I am still a little confused. I am not sure that DVD is the same as MPEG2, but all the software I have used trying to convert DivX to a format I can burn to DVD-R has refrenced DVD as MPEG2.

Here's my problem. I have a DVD burner and I am trying to convert DivX files that I have downloaded into a format that will allow me to burn that file to DVD-R (4.7MB). I have tried the software that came with my Sony Vaio (DVDit, Simple DVD Maker), as well as TMPEG, Blaze, Ulead DVD Movie Factory, Ulead DVD Workshop, AVI2DVD, & Pinnacle Express, but none of them will allow conversion of the DivX to a format that will burn (at least with the software listed above) to a DVD-R. I have gotten some of the files converted using TMPEG, but when I burn it to the disc (using Ulead DVD Movie Factory or Simple DVD Maker), either the video is extremely jumpy, or the audio is not on time with the video. I have had sucess with other forms of AVI, I am only having a problem with DivX AVI files.

So I am looking for a program that will let me create DVD-R's that can play on a stand alone DVD player (that supports DVD-R). If it is possible, I would like software that allows me to burn DivX straight to DVD-R, or a program that will convert and burn to DVD-R (I have been told this has to be DVD MPEG2).

Any help would be greatly appreciated as so far the money I have spent on the DVD burner has been wasted. Oh, and by the way, if it matters, the DVD Burner is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-104.
  • axeman
    • May 2002

I am in a similar situation as you, I have Divx files that I want to burn onto my Pioneer 104. Although I can actually write those DivX file to a DVD using the trial version of 'Ulead DVD Workshop'. When I do this the video and sound are out of synch. I assume you have the necessary codecs to view the divx file in the first place. If you do I cannot understand why it will not allow you to write them to a DVD.

Comment

• Coradius
      • May 2002

Axeman - I can write them to disc using Ulead DVD Movie Factory, but the video and audio are not in sync. This is the problem I am trying to correct. When I called Ulead, they told me that their products don't support Divx, so I am trying to find out if there is software that will allow the conversion and burn to DVD-R and have the audio and Video in sync.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Sorry if I didn't understand but use TMPGENC to convert to MPEG2 using the DVD template, then burn that using nero as a DVD-R.

You can try to use prassi as well.

Techno

Comment

• Achille
          • May 2004

The only way I could find is the following:

Run OSS Audio Extractor (or any other decompiler able to extract the DivX sound track as an uncompressed .WAV). Careful, it gets rather big! VirtualDub very often adds "funny endings" to the WAV file. OSS apparently doesn't.

Open Adobe Premiere Pro 6.5/7, import DivX .AVI file, lock the Video track and delete the audio.

Import now the uncompressed .WAV file, replacing the original audio just deleted.

Check the audio duration: normally audio is a bit longer than video (or much longer, it depends on how bad it is)

Right-click on the video track, select speed/duration, insert the audio duration just read. This way the video track will be slightly extended (in case it's shorter) to match exactly the audio track duration.

Export in any format you like (MPEG1/2 etc.)

The first part is easy and fast. Exporting can be very, veeeery long. Suggestion: should you launch the process late in the evening, the joy is in the morning (Wodehouse)

Comment

• Achille
            • May 2004

The only way I could find is the following:

Run OSS Audio Extractor (or any other decompiler able to extract the DivX sound track as an uncompressed .WAV). Careful, it gets rather big! VirtualDub very often adds "funny endings" to the WAV file. OSS apparently doesn't.

Open Adobe Premiere Pro 6.5/7, import DivX .AVI file, lock the Video track and delete the audio.

Import now the uncompressed .WAV file, replacing the original audio just deleted.

Check the audio duration: normally audio is a bit longer than video (or much longer, it depends on how bad it is)

Right-click on the video track, select speed/duration, insert the audio duration just read. This way the video track will be slightly extended (in case it's shorter) to match exactly the audio track duration.

Export in any format you like (MPEG1/2 etc.)

The first part is easy and fast. Exporting can be very, veeeery long. Suggestion: should you launch the process late in the evening, the joy is in the morning (Wodehouse)

Comment

• CongTuBacLieu
              • Apr 2006

Please show me where to find the Oss Audio Extractor v 5.6.0.5 *EDITED*

Thanks in advance
              Last edited by jmet; 29 Apr 2006, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

what exactly is it you wish to do? virtualdub works excellent for a lot of this.
                "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
                Columbo moments...
                "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
                "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
                (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• ajp
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Mar 2005

I use VSO DivxtoDVD (the link is to the free version).

Very simply install the program
                  start divxtodvd
                  under source file load the divx or xvid avi
                  pick a destination
                  under aspect leave it to automatic
                  for standard select Force NTSC if you are in the USA, or Force PAL for everyone else.
                  Click Convert
                  Wait for the file to be converted

The program outputs as a complete video_ts folder which can be burned with nero, or convert the folder to and img with imgtool classic then burn with dvd decrypter or img burn.

Comment

Working...