Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jay31
    • May 2002

mpeg-divx/ cropping

I have a 2cd movie in mpg format (500+400Mb). I wanted to fit it in one cd and I cannot find solutions, if there are any, to the two following ways I tried:

1. Converting to Divx: no matter how high do I set the bitrate (even to 3000kb) -and I tried it in Divx 3.11,4 and 5- the output movie gets pixelized. Is there any setting that would prevent it?

2. I wanted to crop the movie (the border where subtitles appear), which may lower the movie size, but I cannot find any mpg tools that would do that. Does anyone know such a tool? (Or how to set it in Flask Mpeg, to crop a mpg movie but not to modify the quality).

3. The bitrate of the audio is excessively high - is there any way to process just that and to direct-stream the original mpg video?

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Or how to set it in Flask Mpeg, to crop a mpg movie but not to modify the quality"

Go to: http://nickyguides.digital-digest.com/resize-flask.htm

Comment

• jay31
      • May 2002

Thanks for your answer. On Nicky Pages I found the answer to part of the problem - the video must be recompressed in any case and with it some of it's quality.

Still there remains the last question - is there any way to paste re-compressed audio to the original mpg video? (Virtual dub shows an error, stating that "The source video stream uses a compression algorithm which is not compatible with AVI files. Direct stream copy cannot be used with this video stream")

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Virtualdub does not do MPEG, only AVI. If you want to make MPEG, use TMPGENC. OR DVDx

Techno

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

You can use an audio editor, such as GoldWave, to extract and convert the audiostream to whatever pleases you.

I'd suggest that you convert the audio to Uncompressed PCM (WAV) format, which you can then use in VirtualDub together with the video portion of your (presumably) MPEG1 file and creat a DivX-compressed .AVI with (if you like) .MP3-compressed audio...

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

That is sweeeeeeeeeet........... Setarip to the rescue.

Comment

• jay31
              • May 2002

The TMPGenc worked perfectly. There was little loss of quality when reencoding it to VBR.
              Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...