Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pancrack
    • May 2002

Frequent Lock ups In Tmpgenc

I'm trying to convert avi's into vcd compatible mpgs using tmpgenc but tmpgenc locks up the pc or fails every time at different places (sometimes it only manages 2%, sometimes it manages 30 odd).

When it fails I usually get the message "invalid pointer operation"

I'm extracting the sound file into a wav beforehand, using Virtualdub.

I don't know if this is a tmpgenc problem or a problem with some other part of my pc, I have recently installed all the latest drivers for everything on my pc including the 4in1 drivers for my motherboard and reflashed the bios. None of these upgrades has improved anything at all.

any help would be appreciated, I have already read through loads of help files and faqs though.

cheers
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Install the latest version of TMPGenc (ensure you have also installed the VFAPI companion plug-in).

Try this without extracting the audio as a wav. Just load the file in TMPGenc and convert.

Comment

• Pancrack
      • May 2002

I tried the things you suggested but the Pc still either locks up completely or gives the invalid pointer operation message after about 1% - 2%.

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Firstly,

increase the directshow priortiy to a higher level:

Options > Environment settings > VFAPI plug in > right click on the directshow filter and select higher priority then click ok.

Now restart TMPGENC and open the file you are trying to convert to VCD. Then goto settings (Before the encode) and goto the quantize matrix tab. Select ALL options there and hit ok.

Now encode.

This should solve the problem, if not, then the original video has corrupted frames that TMPGENC does not like.

Techno

Comment

• Batman
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Jan 2002

TMPGEnc is incompatible with divx 5, uninstall it.

Secondly, does this phenomenon occur with all movies?
          Also, adjust the AFW compatibility header towards a higher value.

Comment

• Pancrack
            • May 2002

reply to Techno

I did all the things you suggested and it still locks up
            it manages to get to about 7 - 8% before it locks though, so I suppose thats a bit of an improvement

it makes me think that it could be faulty video files, as you said, but I have about 20 movies that I have downloaded as avi's and I have tried them all. How often do you come accross faulty avi's?

and also, if the avi file was faulty, would it not lock up in the same place everytime?

Comment

• techno
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Nov 2001

I never get faulty AVI's, sometimes MPEG's but that is easily sorted with the things I said.

This is wierd, have u tried checking the frames with virualdub? Just to make sure it isn't corrupted.

Techno

Comment

• techno
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Nov 2001

Try encoding it as Auto_cq instead of constant bitrate (ignore the VCD for now) what happens then?

Techno

Comment

• Pancrack
                  • May 2002

reply to Batman

yes, this phenonomen does occor with every movie.

I've unistalled the divx 5 codec (i take it I do this by uninstalling the ace megacodec pack)

what is the AFW compatibility header? and where do I adjust this?

Comment

• Pancrack
                    • May 2002

Techno,

I checked the frames with Virtualdub and this also seemed to crash my pc. One of the films though ran through without crashing and so I tried to convert this in Tmpgenc. Still the same problem though, it locked up after about 10% and gave me the Invalid Pointer Operation message.
                    I tried encoding it as Auto_cq but still no joy.

Comment

• techno
                      Digital Video Master
                      Digital Video Master
                      • Nov 2001

What version of TMPGENC are u using?

Try using CQ only.

Try increasing the filters to a higher priority in the environment settings again.

Otherwise, try encoding the movie on another system.

I have ran out of ideas!

Techno

Comment

• Pancrack
                        • May 2002

techno

run out of ideas?

Oh well, thanks for your help anyway.

Seems a shame for me to just give up on vcd's completely though, are there any avi to mpeg encoders other than Tmpgenc that I could try?

Comment

• setarip
                          Retired
                          • Dec 2001

You can use the latest version of NERO to go directly from .AVI on your hard drive to a burned VCD.

If it generates a similar error scenario, odds are you've got a flawed .AVI file.

By the way, have you PLAYED the .AVI to determine whether it does a have a problem?

Comment

• Pancrack
                            • May 2002

found my error

hey,

I found out what was causing the error messages and lock ups (I think)
                            I just found out I had a faulty RAM chip.
                            Done about 4 movies since and no problems.

funny how other software on my PC didn't show the faulty chip, just the stuff I use for mpeg encoding.

Comment

• magnoliafan
                              • Jan 2002

Q

Hi all,
                              I was getting this problem all over again - Invalid pointer operation - using the latest 2.510 version of TMPGEnc. I discovered a few things that might be helpful:

1. VFAPI is now included in TMPGEnc

In researching on here, I saw people suggestion to add the VFAPI plug-in. At some point, the TMPGEnc author included VFAPI as part of TMPGEnc, so you don't have to do a separate step to get it.

2. A VERY quick way to tell if you will get the invalid pointer error

There's nothing more frustrating that waiting 9 hours and then getting the "invalid pointer" error. I found a faster way to see if an error will occur. TMPGEnc 2.510 has a "Project Wizard" interface, which guides you through some screens to start a conversion (just like other applications with "wizard" programs to make it simpler). So now, if you use the wizard, when you specify the AVI file, it checks the field order and quickly spits out an error if one will occur. Saves time and frustration!

3. Stopping the error from occurring

To actually prevent the error from occurring, I went into Option -> Environmental setting then to the VFAPI plug-in tab. Unchecking the box on "AVI2(OpenDML) File Reader" stopped the error from happening. I have yet to convert anything with this setting, but I will be starting a big job before I go to bed tonite. We'll see if that causes any unforseen issues.

Hope these are helpful!

Comment

Working...