Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fraggi
    • Dec 2001

DIVX encoding with A Mac computer!?

A friend of mine told me that he heard a MAC can encode a DIVX movie from a DVD source in less than 30 minutes !!?!!?!?!?!

He specificallu told me that G4 1.5 Ghz MAC computer can make a Divx movie out of a DVD drive in less than 15 minutes !!!???

I am petrified!!! Is it true or is he winding me up?

Does anyone know? Please reply!

Thx
  • hubbardt
    • Dec 2001

Hmmmmmmmm

I think your friend is winding you up !!
    He did not say at what quality but in order to encode a 1.5 hour film in 30 minutes you would have to be encoding 75 frames per second - for a PAL film) and that is sheer nonsense.

Read the excerpt from http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/0...ask4.1-04.html

"We cannot stress this enough: to convert or create MPEG-4 files, a huge amount of CPU power is necessary. Otherwise encoding a single movie can take several days! For example: we often use an Intel Pentium 4/2000 clocked to 2300 MHz for MPEG-4 encoding, together with 512 MB of RAM and a fast Ultra-160-SCSI hard drive. That means that for full PAL resolution (720 x 576 dots) and sound with 128 KBit/s at 44 kHz, a frame rate of only about 19 images per second is reached, and the results should be similar for NTSC encoding too. However, we use the best iDCT mode, cut out the black frame and select the most efficient compression method in such a way that the processor load is increased by up to 50 percent. Flask 4.1 supports both the SSE2 expansions of the Pentium 4 processors and the 3Dnow instructions of the AMD Athlon CPUs. Even the new Athlon XP with its SSE expansions is supported, although, when it comes to MPEG encoding, the AMD CPUs generally pale in comparison to the Intel processors. "

Comment

• fraggi
      • Dec 2001

THX!

Thank you very much ! I forwarded your reply as well as the link you supplied!!

Cheers!

Comment

• ma2trigk
        • Dec 2001

So what ?

PLease ask your friend which program he is using, beacause I'm looking for an encoder on Mac, ask him also where I can found it

Thanks in advance

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

1) Your friend is, to put it mildly, "jerking your chain".

2) As far as I know, there is presently only a DivX PLAYER (highly ineffective) for the Mac.

3) There is a similar (not comaptible) codec in the Mac world, called 3IVX. Check out their forum at www.3ivx.com.

Comment

Working...