Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • signup52
    • May 2002

Virtua Dub Modifying of DIVX files

When chopping videos into two parts in Virtua Dub before using Tmpg encoder, I have been modifying the video and audio in full processing mode. Previously, I"ve been using Audio Conversion=>44100hz/16bit/high quality Compression=>MP3/128kbs/44100khz. Video=>DIVX4Lomotion with Bitrate set at 965kbs. Lately I've been changing the Audio Compression to MP3/224kbs/44100 (since that's the proper tmpg/vcd format anyways) and Video=>DIVX4Lomotion with Bitrate set at 960kbs. Sometimes with some videos, I get a jerky motion still where the picture looks super crisp, but the frame rate fluctuates from high to lo. Audio seems pretty good though. Has anyone else experimented with bitrates and compression?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

If the original files that you're modifying are already DivX-compressed .AVIs, try setting "Video" to "Direct Stream Copy". You're actually deteriorating the quality by once again compressing the video in VirtualDub...

Comment

• signup52
      • May 2002

Clicking on details of an .avi file reveals the "bitrate" of the audio and video channels. Some movies are really easy to encode into MPEGS others are really difficult. I was just wondering if there was an optimum video compression rate to use if at all.

Comment

• signup52
        • May 2002

Compression issues

Do you mean that if I were to recompress the file again at the same "compression" rate the file will degrade a bit. I"m finding that when I convert the video compression rate to 960kbs in in divx lomotion in virtua dub, I get a bit rate that is greater than the original file. THe other side bonus being no problems with jerky framerates

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"Do you mean that if I were to recompress the file again at the same "compression" rate the file will degrade a bit."

Every compression degrades the picture quality to some degree (That's not to say that the "side benefits" you've observed aren't worth the tradeoff)...

Comment

Working...